A question on derivatives of leibniz

In summary, bob1182006 suggests looking for a pattern in the derivatives of a function to find the 50th derivative.
transgalactic
[SOLVED] a question on derivatives of leibniz

find the 50th derivetive of the function
f(x)=(x^2 * sin x)

i don't know how this stuff work
can you please show how to solve this question step by step

Physics news on Phys.org
find the first few derivatives and look for a pattern, is it expanding, is the power of x increasing or decreasing? and how is sin changing between sin/cos i.e. even/odd derivatives you have +sin or -sin? or maybe +/- cos?

there is a formula of leibniz to get the answer
i hope some one explain to me step by step
how do i solve this question using this formula

solving this questin using leinbniz formula
?

transgalactic said:
i don't know how this stuff work
can you please show how to solve this question step by step

The rules of the forum require that you should some work first. People who are helping students here are not here to solve problems for those students.

If you are going to use a "formula of Leibniz", you need to show what that is and also show some attempt to use it. However, unless the problem specifically requires you to use a formula, you will find it easier to use bob1182006's suggestion of looking for a pattern. What is f'(x)? What is f''(x)?

i tried to solve it like this:

x^2*sinx +(50C1)2X*cosx - (50C2)*2*sinx
this way gives me a close answer but its still wrong
some were i did a mistake

i undrstood from the book that they are doing derivatives
of the lastobject till one of them turns to be only a number

but i don't think i got it right
help
?

usually you would do enough derivatives until you get just 0 if it's a polynomial.

but since you have sinx here which changes to cosx which changes to -sinx etc...

you need to find a pattern between the expansion of the derivatives.

Take say the first 3-4 derivatives and try to find a pattern, does every derivative contain sinx with some coeffieint etc.. so you can just find that pattern and find the 50th derivative that way.

transgalactic said:
i tried to solve it like this:

x^2*sinx +(50C1)2X*cosx - (50C2)*2*sinx
this way gives me a close answer but its still wrong
some were i did a mistake

I really think you're going to be unhappy trying to do this. You don't want to find all 50 derivatives at once. (In fact, I suspect you were asked to take the 50th derivative exactly to discourage you from using the formula.)

What bob1182006 (and I) are saying is to work out just a few higher derivatives until you can see what the pattern looks like, then suggest a general result for the n th derivative, and finally set n = 50.

the books showed a certain way to solve it

i added the example and the formula in the file

they gave me an example

but i didnt understand completely how this formula works

could you solve the question of
finding the 50th derivative of this function

f(x)=(x^2 *sin x)

??

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 336
It's really just the binomial formula:
[tex](a+ b)^n= \sum_{i=0}^n _nC_i a^i b^{n-i}[/tex]
the binomial coefficient is there because you are adding all the possible ways of "ordering" i "a"s and n-i "b"s.

Repeatedly differentiating a product gives a similar thing for exactly the same reasons:
[tex]\frac{d^n fg}{dx^n}= \sum_{i=0}^n _nC_i \frac{d^i f}{dx^i}{\frac{d^{n-i}g}{dx^{n-i}}[/itex]

For n= 50, that can have up to 51 terms. Fortunately, as you observe, the third derivative of x2 is 0 so, taking f(x)= x2, f'(x)= 2x, f"(x)= 2, and all other derivatives are 0. The formula becomes
[tex]_{50}C_0 x^2\frac{d^{50} sin(x)}{dx^{50}}+ _{50}C_1 (2x)\frac{d^{49}sin(x)}{dx^{49}}+ _{50}C_2 (2)\frac{d^{48}sin(x)}{dx^{48}}[/tex]
So the only "problem" left is finding those derivatives of sin(x)- and that should be easy. (The derivatives of sine and cosine have "period" 4.)

Be careful of the signs- that's where your previous attempt is wrong.

thanks you very much
i finaly got his stuff all together

What is a derivative of Leibniz?

A derivative of Leibniz refers to the mathematical concept of taking the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It was first introduced by the German mathematician and philosopher Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz in the 17th century.

What is the significance of Leibniz's contribution to derivatives?

Leibniz's contribution to derivatives was crucial in the development of calculus and the understanding of rates of change in mathematics. His notation for derivatives, which uses the letters "d" and "dx", is still widely used today.

How are Leibniz's derivatives different from Newton's?

Leibniz's and Newton's approaches to derivatives are fundamentally different. While Newton used geometric shapes to represent rates of change, Leibniz used the concept of infinitesimal quantities and ratios. Both approaches eventually led to the development of calculus.

What are some real-world applications of Leibniz's derivatives?

Leibniz's derivatives have numerous real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They are used to calculate velocity, acceleration, and other rates of change in various systems and phenomena.

Are there any controversies surrounding Leibniz's derivatives?

There is some debate among historians and mathematicians about who should be credited for the development of calculus - Newton or Leibniz. While Newton's approach was published earlier, Leibniz's notation and concept of derivatives are considered more intuitive and widely used today.