A question regarding a specific interval of time and GR

In summary, Einstein states that the laws of geometry are still valid, even according to the relativistic principles of special relativity. He goes on to say that two selected positions of a stationary object always correspond to a distance and a time that is unaffected by the location or time of the observer.
myoho.renge.kyo
A. Einstein states in The Principle of Relativity, pp 111 - 112:

"The modification to which the special theory of relativity has subjected the theory of space and time is indeed far-reaching, but one important point has remained unaffected. For the laws of geometry, even according to the special theory of relativity, are to be interpreted directly as laws relating to the possible relative positions of solid bodies at rest; and, in a more general way, the laws of kinematics are to be interpreted as laws which describe the relations of measuring bodies and clocks. To two selected material points of a stationary rigid body there always corresponds a distance of quite definite length, which is independent of the locality and orientation of the body, and is also independent of the time. To two selected positions of the hands of a clock at rest relatively to the privileged system of reference there always corresponds an interval of time of a definite length, which is independent of place and time. We shall soon see that the general theory of relativity cannot adhere to this simple physical interpretation of space and time."

It is now, according to my wrist watch (my wrist watch and the clock of the United States synchronize), 9:11 am, 10/9/2006, here in Burbank, California. Let the two selected positions of the hands of my wrist watch be 6:28 pm, 10/8/2006 thru 6:27 pm, 10/9/2006. Can anyone give me an example of how these two selected positions of the hands of my wrist watch (to which an interval of time of a definite length, 86340 s, corresponds) is not independent of place and time? Or how does this interval of time depend on place and time? Or what is the value of this interval of time if a different place and time is given? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll assume you were on the ground floor of your building during that time interval. If someone on the second floor had been watching you, they would have thought your clock was running slow - and thus disagreed about the length of the interval. Does that answer your question?

myoho.renge.kyo said:
...how does this interval of time depend on place and time? Or what is the value of this interval of time if a different place and time is given? Thanks!
This is the case when a distance or duration measurement is done at a location A for a location B and these locations have a different gravitational potential, relative speed or relative acceleration or a combination of those.

Relative speed between A and B contracts lengths and dilates duration.
Relative acceleration between A and B change the amount of contraction and dilation.
Different gravitational potentials between A and B change shape and duration.

Last edited:
myoho.renge.kyo said:
It is now, according to my wrist watch (my wrist watch and the clock of the United States synchronize), 9:11 am, 10/9/2006, here in Burbank, California. Let the two selected positions of the hands of my wrist watch be 6:28 pm, 10/8/2006 thru 6:27 pm, 10/9/2006.

Can anyone give me an example of how these two selected positions of the hands of my wrist watch (to which an interval of time of a definite length, 86340s, corresponds) is not independent of place and time? Or how does this interval of time depend on place and time? Or what is the value of this interval of time if a different place and time is given? Thanks!

The time interval doesn't depend upon place or time. It depends only on relative velocity. So those in inertial motion at v>0 wrt you will record that your 86340s takes 86340s*gamma per they, where gamma=1/(1-v^2/c^2)^1/2. At say v=0.866c, gamma=2. So your clock runs slower per they, since they see you in motion and consider themselves stationary.

The Lorentz Transformation relates time between 2 frames via this equation …

T = gamma(t-vx/c^2)

X = Beta(x-vt)

The -vx/c^2 part of the time T eqn produces a temporal offset, and I suspect that this may be related to the question you asked.

You might want to draw yourself some spacetime diagrams, time as a vertical (t) axis, and 1-space as a horizontal (x) axis. If you are unfamiliar with spacetime diagrams, google for "Minkowski worldline diagrams". Draw up a stationary and moving observer on one diagram, plot it out, and you'll see some very interesting things. iT might them become much clearer, much quicker.

pess

wow! thanks to everyone that responded. i have a much better perspective of what is going on. thanks again.

Last edited:

1. What is the relationship between time and General Relativity (GR)?

The theory of General Relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, explains how gravity works in the universe. It states that time is not a fixed entity, but rather it is relative and can be affected by the presence of massive objects. This means that time can be stretched or compressed depending on the strength of gravity in a given region.

2. Can time travel be achieved using General Relativity?

According to the theory of General Relativity, time travel is possible theoretically. However, it would require extremely strong gravitational forces, such as those near a black hole, and advanced technology that we do not currently have. Additionally, the concept of time travel raises many paradoxes and is still a subject of debate among scientists.

3. How does General Relativity explain the concept of spacetime?

General Relativity states that space and time are intertwined and make up the fabric of the universe, known as spacetime. Mass and energy cause spacetime to curve, creating the effects of gravity. This theory has been proven through various experiments, such as the bending of light around massive objects.

4. How does General Relativity affect our daily lives?

Although the effects of General Relativity may not be noticeable in our daily lives, it has significant implications for our understanding of the universe. GPS technology, for example, requires precise timing, which is affected by the theory of General Relativity. Without taking into account the effects of gravity on time, GPS calculations would be off by several kilometers.

5. Are there any limitations to General Relativity?

While General Relativity has been incredibly successful in explaining various phenomena, such as the bending of light and the movement of planets, it has its limitations. For instance, it does not account for the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. This is where the theory of quantum mechanics comes in, and scientists are still working on finding a unified theory that combines both General Relativity and quantum mechanics.