1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Question regarding stress/cross sectional area

1. May 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A cylindrical rod has a spherical bubble in it. as illustrated in figure 4.2 (in the attachments)
    The rod has a cross sectional area of 3.2 x 10^-6 m^2 and is stretched by forces of magnitude 1.9 x 10^3 N.
    The maximum Stress that the cylinder can take is 9.5 x 10^8 Pascals.
    2. Relevant equations
    Stress = Force/ Cross sectional area

3. The attempt at a solution
    Basically what I did was say:
    Maximum stress = Force applied/Area
    9.5 x 10^8 = 1.9 x 10^3 / Minimum area
    Minimum area = 2 x 10^-6 m^2
    So the maximum Cross sectional area of a rod is 2 x 10^-6 m^2

The right answer was on the other hand to do all this + subtract new area from old area so it becomes (3.2 - 2) x 10^-6 = 1.2 x 10^-6
    This is the part I don't understand. Shouldn't the maximum cross section of the ball be the area of the new cylinder so that if it is more then the cylinder breaks???

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2014 #2
    Hi Farouk,

I'd like to help with this, but I don't see the actual question that is being asked. What are they asking you to find?

Chet

4. May 15, 2014 #3
    Sorry forgot to include it :)). It was: what is the maximum cross section of the ball.
    Its really vague what is asked here :/

5. May 15, 2014 #4
    The bubble can't support any stress, so all the stress must be carried by the 2x10-6 m2 of rod material surrounding the bubble. That leaves 1.2x10-6 m2 cross sectional area available for the bubble.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted