Tensile stress in perforated steel plate

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
DevonZA
Messages
181
Reaction score
6

Homework Statement



Two lengths of steel plate 100mm wide and 15mm thick are riveted together by a single 18mm diameter rivet. If the joint carries a tensile load of 8kN calculate:
a) The shear stress in the rivet
b) The tensile stress in the perforated plate

Homework Equations



stress = force / cross sectional area

The Attempt at a Solution



a) stress = force / cross sectional area
= 8x10^3 / pi/4(0.018)^2
= 31.43MPa

This is the answer given in the textbook so I am satisfied it is correct.

b) This is where I am stuck.
The given answer is 6.51MPa.

I thought maybe if I use 100mmX15mm (1500mm) as the area for the plate and subtract the area of the 18mm diameter rivet (pi/4(0.018)^2) I could divide the 8kN force (although this is the tensile load of the joint) by this area and get the stress for the plate.

However if I do the above:

8x10^3 / [(1.5x10^-3)-pi/4(0.018)^2]
= 6.42MPa

Where am I going wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
DevonZA said:
I thought maybe if I use 100mmX15mm (1500mm) as the area for the plate and subtract the area of the 18mm diameter rivet (pi/4(0.018)^2)...
Those areas are not oriented in the same plane. One is perpendicular to the plate surface, the other parallel to the plate surface.

What's the minimum cross sectional area of the plate? Note that would be the area of the section (so a slice through contiguous material).
 
gneill said:
Those areas are not oriented in the same plane. One is perpendicular to the plate surface, the other parallel to the plate surface.

What's the minimum cross sectional area of the plate? Note that would be the area of the section (so a slice through contiguous material).

100mmX15mm?
 
DevonZA said:
100mmX15mm?
Nope. Suppose you make your cross section through where the rivet is. How much plate material is sliced?
 
gneill said:
Nope. Suppose you make your cross section through where the rivet is. How much plate material is sliced?

Um if each plate is 100mm wide and 15mm thick then I would say 100mmX15mm - 2X15mmX18mm for the hole
2(100x15)-(2)(15)(18) = 2460mm^2

Not sure if I am visualizing this correctly..
 
Not sure why you're multiplying by two. You want to deal with only one plate.
 
gneill said:
Not sure why you're multiplying by two. You want to deal with only one plate.

Okay so 100x15mm - 15x18mm = 1230mm^2

Then stress = force / cross sectional area
= 8x10^3 / 1.23x10^-3
= 6.5MPa

:woot: thank you
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: gneill