1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A quick(?) question about the Pauli exclusion principle

1. Nov 20, 2009 #1
    Hi,
    This might be an ignorant question but I have to ask it. The exclusion principle forbids particles from existing with the same quantum numbers, like, if you had 2 electrons, they have quantum numbers n, l, ml and ms, and one out of those 4 has to be different, right?

What I was wondering was how close do two particles have to be before the exclusion principle starts working?
    obviously two electrons in different atoms can have all the same quantum numbers, but I ask this because I'm reading about quarks in baryons, and apparently they violate the principle, so how come they can get close enough to each other to be in the same particle?

I get the feeling theres something huge here that I don't quite understand yet.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi jeebs! :smile:
    "close"? … I think you're thinking of free particles.

Particles such as electrons round an atom are in the same ball-game, and it only has certain available quantum numbers …

it doesn't matter how "close" two electrons are (eg are they on opposite sides of the atom?): what matters is their orbits, not their instantaneous positions.
    They have to be different "colours", and "colour" is a quantum number. :wink:

4. Nov 21, 2009 #3
    I believe the apparent violation of the exculsion principle was used to show that another quantum number (dubbed colour) exists.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook