1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A quick question from a layman about folding space time

1. Jan 19, 2014 #1
    I was just doing some thinking about the folding of space time. I have seen a demonstration that a piece of paper is folded in two and a hole is poked through the two layers. Are there any negative consequences and if so what are the consequences of folding space time, and what are the consequences of poking a hole in it? Forgive me for my ignorance in physics, but when I have a question I found that it is best to go to the most qualified source for the answer. I am not, by any means, a physicist. Thank you ahead of time for your thoughts and hypothesis.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2014 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hello Kargo! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    Yes, that's the standard picture of a "wormhole" …

a short-cut between two points in space which are a long distance apart.

Some people speculate that when a black hole is formed, and things literally disappear into the singularity, they reappear somewhere else in the universe in a sort of "white hole".

But nothing is folded … the diagram shows the space folded only so as to get it all on the same page! :biggrin:

Google "wormhole", and you'll find loads of information! :wink:

4. Jan 19, 2014 #3

ChrisVer

Gold Member

I don't get the question that much...
    putting a hole in the folded one, means that you change the topology of it.

what also do you mean what's the consequences of folding it? Nothing really. The folding happens over a symmetry (eg conformal symmetry), so either you work on the 1st or the 2nd space, you can go between each other without a problem. Now if you change/drop out pieces of one of the space, then I am not sure if you can go back to your initial without a problem (what about the points around the holes? you can't find a neighborhood around them that can be mapped in a neighborhood of the other). If someone can correct my idea if it's wrong.......

5. Jan 19, 2014 #4

Thanks Tim for clearing up the whole folding thing, I will google wormhole.

6. Jan 19, 2014 #5
    I apologize for my ignorance on this subject. What I was trying to find out is what if any catastrophic effect might happen?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook