1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A rocket going up with acceleration =

1. Nov 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rocket starts from rest and moves upward from the surface of the earth. For the first 10.0 s of its motion, the vertical acceleration of the rocket is given by ay=(2.90m/s^3)t, where the +y-direction is upward.

What is the height of the rocket above the surface of the earth at t = 10.0 s ?
    Express your answer with the appropriate units.

2. Relevant equations
    v=dy/dt
    a=dv/dt
    y =v*t + (1/2) a*t^2
    3. The attempt at a solution

I drew a diagram. A rocker going up, from 0 -10 a= 2.90 *t
    from 10 and higher, a = -9.802
    I integrated the acceleration from 0-10, and got the velocity to be 2.90/2 t^2 I used the kinematics formula for position, height in this case and got
    h= 2.90/2 t^3 + .5*-9.802*t^2 = 959.9
    its not correct, what am I doing wrong? What should I do instead and why?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not sure why you care what happens to the rocket for t > 10 sec. The problem asks you to find the height of the rocket at t = 10 sec.

What happens to the rocket after that is immaterial.

You only need to concern yourself with what happens to the rocket over the interval 0 ≤ t ≤ 10.

If you can integrate acceleration once to find velocity, why can't you integrate velocity to find height?

4. Nov 10, 2015 #3
    I'm sorry, I didn't not read carefully enough, Im pretty sleepy doing tons of home work, I did a previous question that asked for something past the original time interval, and I was in the same mind set with this one. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted