A Rolling Bat Struck by a Ball

In summary, the conversation discusses the placement of a bat along the x-axis and the conditions under which the tip of the handle remains at (0, 0). The center of mass is located at (0.6 m; 0) and a ball strikes the bat perpendicularly at (x, 0), causing an impulse I. The bat's moment of inertia through the center of mass is given as J = 0.0530 kgm^2 and its mass m = 0.800 kg. The problem is asking for the distance x, such that the bat handle's tip's instantaneous velocity is zero immediately after the impulse. The solution involves calculating the rotation movement of the tip, ωxc, and the
A. Aspart
A bat lies along the x-axis so that the tip of its handle is located in (0, 0) while the other end is at (0.9 m; 0). The center of mass is at (0.6 m; 0). A ball hits the bat perpendicularly at (x, 0), causing an impulse I.
The bat’s moment of inertia through the center of mass is J = 0.0530 kgm^2; the bat’s mass m = 0.800 kg.
Calculate x so that the tip of the handle stays at (0, 0) by studying the movement of the center of mass.

I assumed that the axis is parallel with z-axis and that the bat starts rolling around the point (0, 0). I calculated J about the tip of the handle. After that, however, I am stuck since I can only form equations with several unknown variables. Also, I don’t really understand the conditions under which the tip of the handle remains at (0, 0). Have I approached the assignment incorrectly or am I missing something (or both)?

All help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the problem is asking for the distance x, such that the bat handle's tip's instantaneous velocity is zero, immediately after the impulse.

I can guarantee you that the tip of the handle will not stay stay at (0, 0) indefinitely, without other forces involved holding it in place. But its initial, instantaneous velocity can be zero so long as the x is just right. I think that's what you are being asked to calculate.

[Hint: you need to figure out the situation that the rotation movement of the tip, [STRIKE]ωx[/STRIKE] [Edit: I meant ωxc, where xc is the distance from the center of mass to the handle's tip, not to be confused with x, the distance from the tip to the location of the ball striking] is equal and opposite v, the velocity of the center of mass.]

Last edited:

1. What is the impact of a rolling bat being struck by a ball?

The impact of a rolling bat being struck by a ball depends on the speed and angle at which the ball hits the bat. If the ball and bat are moving in the same direction, the impact will be lessened. However, if the ball hits the bat at a perpendicular angle, the impact will be greater.

2. How does the material of the bat affect the impact?

The material of the bat can greatly affect the impact of a rolling bat being struck by a ball. A bat made of a softer material, such as wood, will absorb more of the impact, while a bat made of a harder material, like aluminum, will transfer more of the impact to the ball.

3. Does the weight of the bat make a difference in the impact?

Yes, the weight of the bat can make a difference in the impact. A heavier bat will have more mass and therefore a greater impact when struck by a ball. However, a heavier bat may also be more difficult to swing and make contact with the ball.

4. Are there any safety concerns with a rolling bat being struck by a ball?

There can be safety concerns with a rolling bat being struck by a ball, especially if the bat is being used in a game or sport. It is important to always wear appropriate protective gear and to use caution when handling a bat and ball.

5. Can the angle of the bat affect the trajectory of the ball after impact?

Yes, the angle of the bat can greatly affect the trajectory of the ball after impact. If the bat is angled towards the ground, the ball will likely be hit downwards. However, if the bat is angled upwards, the ball will be hit upwards. The angle of the bat can also determine the direction in which the ball will travel after impact.