Rolling ball inside a shell problem

In summary: It's possible that these changes were made to simplify the problem or to address some unknown issue with the original version.In summary, the problem can be solved by using the fact that the center of mass of the system is stationary. This simplifies things nicely and would seem to make this exactly equivalent to a large-amplitude physical pendulum. But that's just my intuition talking. I would start out by trying to quantify the kinematics of the motion.
Hamiltonian
Homework Statement
A ball of mass M and radius R is placed inside a spherical shell of the same mass M and the inner radius 2R. The combination is at rest on a tabletop in the position shown in the figure. The ball is released, and it rolls back and forth inside the shell. Find the maximum displacement of the shell.
Relevant Equations
-
1611690066489.png

I was able to solve this problem easily by using the fact that the center of mass of the system is stationary as ##\sum F_{ext} = 0## for the ball and shell system. since COM's of both objects can be replaced with point masses at there center, the shell will have maximum displacement when its COM is in the position of the ball and the ball's in the place of the shell's COM, by the given geometry, we can conclude when the COM's of both the bodies exchange positions the shell's COM would have been displaced by ##R##

I wanted to know if there is a way to write the equation of motion of the shell and from that evaluate its maximum displacement.
also, it's given in the problem that the ball rolls inside the shell(i.e. no slipping condition applies) hence I feel that the question was expected to be solved in this manner?
I am unable to come up with any equations in terms of the ##x##-coordinate of the shell.
a hint to get started with this problem will be amazing! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The use of a Lagrangian to get the equation of motion is the only way I can trust myself to do it right. However, I doubt that the equation of motion can be solved analytically. If the outer shell were stationary, then the motion of the ball is that of a large-amplitude physical pendulum which already cannot be solved analytically. Allowing the outer shell to move would be equivalent to having a movable pendulum support and would make an already intractable solution even more so.

Likes BvU
kuruman said:
The use of a Lagrangian to get the equation of motion is the only way I can trust myself to do it right. However, I doubt that the equation of motion can be solved analytically. If the outer shell were stationary, then the motion of the ball is that of a large-amplitude physical pendulum which already cannot be solved analytically. Allowing the outer shell to move would be equivalent to having a movable pendulum support and would make an already intractable solution even more so.
If I understand the OP's solution, it exploits the unstated fact that the surface is frictionless. This simplifies things nicely and would seem to make this exactly equivalent to a large-amplitude physical pendulum.

But that's just my intuition talking.

I would start out by trying to quantify the kinematics of the motion.

jbriggs444 said:
it exploits the unstated fact that the surface is frictionless
@Hamiltonian299792458 , is the table surface frictionless? That is not stated, but your easy solution assumes it.

haruspex said:
@Hamiltonian299792458 , is the table surface frictionless? That is not stated, but your easy solution assumes it.

The question only mentions the ball to be in pure rolling and doesn't say much about the shell in particular.

1611727359022.png

I found a very similar problem which also states that the horizontal floor is frictionless.

Hamiltonian299792458 said:
View attachment 276920
I found a very similar problem which also states that the horizontal floor is frictionless.
Yes, it's probably just an omission in the problem statement in post #1. If the shell doesn't slip either then it's just a kinematic question.
I note that the version in post #7 differs in two other ways: it does not specify rolling contact between the balls, and the ball comes to rest.

Likes BvU and jbriggs444

1. What is the "rolling ball inside a shell" problem?

The rolling ball inside a shell problem is a classic physics problem that involves a ball rolling inside a spherical shell. The ball is constrained to the inside of the shell and cannot leave its surface. The problem often asks about the motion of the ball and the forces acting on it as it rolls inside the shell.

2. What are the assumptions made in the rolling ball inside a shell problem?

There are a few assumptions that are typically made in this problem. First, it is assumed that the shell is perfectly spherical and has a smooth, frictionless surface. Additionally, the ball is assumed to be a point mass and is not affected by any external forces, such as gravity or air resistance.

3. How do you calculate the velocity of the ball in the rolling ball inside a shell problem?

The velocity of the ball can be calculated using the conservation of energy principle. Since the ball is not affected by external forces, its total mechanical energy remains constant. This means that the sum of its kinetic and potential energy at any point in time will always be the same. By setting the initial and final energies equal, the velocity of the ball can be solved for.

4. What is the relationship between the radius of the shell and the velocity of the ball in the rolling ball inside a shell problem?

The radius of the shell and the velocity of the ball are inversely proportional in this problem. This means that as the radius of the shell increases, the velocity of the ball decreases, and vice versa. This relationship can be seen in the equation for the conservation of energy, where the radius appears in the denominator.

5. How does the motion of the ball change if the shell is not perfectly spherical?

If the shell is not perfectly spherical, the motion of the ball will be affected. The ball will experience a net force in the direction of the non-spherical part of the shell, causing it to accelerate or decelerate. This will result in a more complex motion for the ball, making it harder to calculate its velocity and position at any given time.