Solving Orbital Mechanics: 24 Hours to Seconds Conversion

In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics problem involving converting hours to seconds and using the equation Fg = -gmm/r. The participants discuss the use of circular motion and the final answer being approximately 24,000 miles. They also mention the need to subtract the radius of the Earth from the final result.
triden
http://upload.cybermart.ca/2004/hepmesad.gif

I can't decide what to do with this question. I am studying for a final. I converted 24 hours to seconds and tried using the Fg = -gmm/r but I don't think that's going to work...

any leads? Thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track. Think about circular motion, too.

theFuture said:
You're on the right track. Think about circular motion, too.

ok I think I am getting it.

r*(omega)^2 = GM/r^2

then i can cancel the R's to get

Omega^2 = GM/r ?

triden said:
ok I think I am getting it.

r*(omega)^2 = GM/r^2

then i can cancel the R's to get

Omega^2 = GM/r ?

Yes,it's correct.To check your answer,though,u should be gettin round about 35000km.

you mean omega^2 = GM/r^3

That's one of my favorite problems.

I think the answer is about 24,000mi. Don't forget to subtract the radius of the earth. I always forget to do that!

i Think radius should be (R+r) and use F=GMm/(R+r)^2

saltrock said:
i Think radius should be (R+r) and use F=GMm/(R+r)^2

Why complicate?Use "r" as your length variable (the radius of the trajectory)and then,once u got the result,subtract the mean radius of the Earth which is round about 6371km.

1. How do you convert from hours to seconds in orbital mechanics?

To convert from hours to seconds in orbital mechanics, you multiply the number of hours by 3600, which is the number of seconds in an hour. This will give you the equivalent time in seconds.

2. Why is it important to be able to convert between hours and seconds in orbital mechanics?

Being able to convert between hours and seconds in orbital mechanics allows scientists to accurately calculate and plan for orbital trajectories and maneuvers. It also helps in understanding and predicting the movement of celestial bodies in space.

3. Can you give an example of using the conversion from hours to seconds in orbital mechanics?

For example, if a satellite's orbital period is 12 hours, you can calculate the time it takes to complete one orbit in seconds by multiplying 12 hours by 3600 seconds, giving you a total of 43,200 seconds.

4. Are there any other important time conversions used in orbital mechanics?

Yes, in addition to hours to seconds, other commonly used time conversions in orbital mechanics include converting between days, minutes, and milliseconds. These conversions are important for different calculations and measurements in orbital mechanics.

5. Is there a specific formula for converting from hours to seconds in orbital mechanics?

Yes, the formula for converting from hours to seconds in orbital mechanics is: seconds = hours x 3600. This formula can also be used in reverse to convert from seconds to hours by dividing the number of seconds by 3600.