Satellite in orbit losing speed

In summary, a satellite is put into a stationary orbit around Earth, and it passes through a cloud and loses 10% of its kinetic energy. The satellite is then stabilized in a new orbit, and the question asks for the new radius. The equations used to solve this problem are the attraction force, acceleration, and the relation between speed and period. The initial speed and kinetic energy are calculated, and the final velocity after a 10% deduction is found. The final radius is then calculated using the conservation of energy approach. However, it is noted that the result is incorrect due to not accounting for the added gravitational potential energy to reach the new orbit.
Karol

Homework Statement

A satellite is put into a stationary orbit around earth, i.e. it stays above one point, then it passes through a cloud and looses 10% of it's kinetic energy. it is stabilized again in a new orbit, what's the new radius.

Homework Equations

Attraction force: ##F=\frac{GMm}{R^2}##
Acceleration: ##a=\frac{V^2}{R}##
Relation of speed with period: ##2\pi R=V\cdot T##

The Attempt at a Solution

Finding the initial speed by finding the initial radius:
The initial period is 24 hours, the period is ##24\cdot 3600=86,400##
$$\frac{GMm}{R^2}=\frac{V^2}{R}=\frac{4\pi^2 R^2}{T^2}$$
$$R^3=\frac{6.67E-11\cdot 6E24\cdot 86,400^2}{4\pi^2}\rightarrow R=35,904 km$$
The initial speed is:
$$S=VT\rightarrow 42,303,864=V\cdot 86,400\rightarrow V=3076$$
The initial kinetic energy:
$$\frac{1}{2}m\cdot 3076^2=4,257,799$$
The final velocity after deducing 10%:
$$4,257,799\cdot 0.9 \cdot m=\frac{1}{2}m\cdot V^2\rightarrow V^2=8,515,598$$
$$R=\frac{GM}{V^2}=\frac{6.67E-11\cdot 6E24}{8,515,598}=46,996 km$$
It should be R=40,500 km

Physics news on Phys.org
Objects in higher orbits have lower orbital speeds. That's why you found a larger radius for your 10% loss in speed; you didn't account for the fact that to get there you'd have to add gravitational potential energy to reach that orbit.

Have you considered using a conservation of energy approach? There's both KE and PE to deal with.

I wanted to delete the thread since i was asked the height above Earth and i forgot to extract the Earth's radius from what i got, so my result is correct

It would help clarify your calculations if you would indicate units consistently, not every now and then.

Karol said:
I wanted to delete the thread since i was asked the height above Earth and i forgot to extract the Earth's radius from what i got, so my result is correct
Maybe, but gneill is correct that the calculation you posted was wrong. You should take the total energy, PE+KE, subtract 10% of the KE from that, and figure out the radius for the new total.
The question as posted asks for the new radius, not the height above the earth. This suggests that your revised answer, by subtracting Earth's radius, was approximately correct numerically by sheer luck.

1. Why would a satellite in orbit lose speed?

Satellites in orbit can lose speed due to several reasons, such as atmospheric drag, gravitational pull from other celestial bodies, and solar radiation pressure. These external forces can cause the satellite to slow down, resulting in a decrease in its orbital velocity.

2. How does atmospheric drag affect a satellite's speed in orbit?

The Earth's atmosphere, although very thin at higher altitudes, still exerts a drag force on objects in orbit. This drag force acts in the opposite direction of the satellite's motion, causing it to lose speed and eventually fall back to Earth. This effect is more prominent at lower altitudes and can be mitigated by using aerodynamic designs for the satellite.

3. Can a satellite's speed in orbit be controlled?

Yes, a satellite's speed in orbit can be controlled by using thrusters or engines to adjust its velocity. This is typically done to maintain a specific orbit or to change orbits. However, the amount of fuel and the precise timing of these adjustments must be carefully calculated to prevent the satellite from running out of fuel and becoming uncontrollable.

4. What happens if a satellite loses too much speed in orbit?

If a satellite loses too much speed in orbit, it may no longer have enough velocity to maintain its orbit and will eventually fall back to Earth. This is known as orbital decay and can be dangerous if the satellite is not controlled or brought back to a safe orbit.

5. How is a satellite's speed in orbit measured and monitored?

A satellite's speed in orbit can be measured and monitored using ground-based tracking stations and radar systems. These systems can track the satellite's position and velocity and provide data on any changes in its speed. Satellites also have onboard sensors and instruments that can measure their velocity and make adjustments if needed.