A science project about Antigravity

In summary: What are they doing here... ? Running a current through aluminium foil?There is a high electric potential between the foil, and the wire above the foil. Classically, it was assumed that an electric wind forms that provides lift. While I thought this was the definitive explanation, there is debate about the mechanism of action - it may be a little more complicated.
NGC 6751
hi forumers,

well, my friends and I(high school students) are planning on our science project but we haven't got a final idea of what to do yet. however, I am interested in Antigravity and some of my friends said it sounds like a good idea. the problem is I don't know where to start. well, I'm not talking about building an anti-gravity aerocraft or somethin' but perhaps, a small device that can render a field which cancels gravitational forces etc. etc..

Is it possible to do so? or does it really need more advanced knowledge which may seem too hard for high school students?

If it's possible, where should I start? which other fields of study needed to be used?

I'd like to hear all of you guys' opinions and may be, other interesting ideas for my science project.

Just in case, this is my first thread and my first science project so I am sorry if my questions may sound stupid. =D

thanks for any (future) responds.

:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion, anti-gravity is a bit much to chew on a first project. For one thing, you should first have a thorough understanding of how gravity works. Read up on Galileo. He did some experiments about gravity and acceleration that are quite interesting and would make excellent science projects.

No! Why should it be stupid! This is a theory itself anyway.

You know, your question's been a challenge in the whole history, but a few months ago, I read an article that claimed that an artist (!) has been successful to discover this huge thing! He/she has created a skateboard which stays floating in air.

Google it, and I know you can find it. It's hard for me to find the address, but I remember the skateboard way extremely simple, and was only colored pink!

Let's keep discussing it here and learn about what's been up!

No, if your science teacher are remotely competent anything on antigravity will end with an E for Effort.

That really depends on what you mean by "anti-gravity."

When you say
render a field which cancels gravitational forces etc. etc..
, what kind of field do you mean? It's possible to make an electric field or magnetic field which acts in the opposite direction of gravity, but that really isn't "canceling gravity," it's just providing a different force in the opposite direction. There are trains that run this way.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/maglev-train.htm

Jack21222 said:
That really depends on what you mean by "anti-gravity."

When you say , what kind of field do you mean? It's possible to make an electric field or magnetic field which acts in the opposite direction of gravity, but that really isn't "canceling gravity," it's just providing a different force in the opposite direction. There are trains that run this way.

Here's an easy way to use an electric force to balance a gravitational force:

Bring in a table. Put a book on the table. The electrons on the surface of the table will repel the electrons on the surface of the book with a force that will balance the gravitational force on the book. You will see the book suspended above the floor. Of course, there will be a table beneath it. But that's essentially "antigravity" .

Last edited:
Chi Meson said:
Here's an easy way to use an electric force to balance a gravitational force:

Bring in a table. Put a book on the table. The electrons on the surface of the table will repel the electrons on the surface of the book with a force that will balance the gravitational force on the book. You will see the book suspended above the floor. Of course, there will be a table beneath it. But that's essentially "antigravity" .
Here's another. You could put a bit of paper on the table. The gravitational force of the entire Earth and the paper is pulling the paper downward. Rub a comb in your hair, place it near the paper and the electromagnetic force between the comb and the paper will overcome that gravitational force and lift the paper.

A 'gravity' science project probably would be easier...

You might look into building a lifter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAKkmR9eh0U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQuoll2Xqkg

There is no magic involved, but there is debate about why they work.

Ivan Seeking said:
You might look into building a lifter

There is no magic involved, but there is debate about why they work.

What are they doing here... ? Running a current through aluminium foil?

TubbaBlubba said:
What are they doing here... ? Running a current through aluminium foil?

There is a high electric potential between the foil, and the wire above the foil. Classically, it was assumed that an electric wind forms that provides lift. While I thought this was the definitive explanation, there is debate about the mechanism of action - it may be a little more complicated.

Note that there are a lot of crackpot sites positing all sorts of crazy theories. Again, this is not "antigravity" in the sense that most people mean, so sites claiming as much should be ignored. But there are plenty of sites that discuss how to build one.

Fourth-of-July fireworks provide a first-hand observation of, and even experience with (where allowed) AG devices in all shapes, colors, and sounds!

Rub a balloon on the top of your head. Antigravity.

joking by the way

No no folks, I think you didn't get what did NGC mean.

He means of creating something as seen in fictional movies. Say, we want to create a skateboard, which we can use to travel all around the country and maybe even overseas!

I wish I've got what he/she's said!

NGC 6751, if by "anti-gravity" you mean things like electrical or magnetic suspension fine. However, that isn't really antigravity. If real antigravity is what you are after, it doesn't exist.

We have rules against posting pseudoscience and overly speculative personal theories in this forum. Threads such as this invite such posts.

Thread locked pending moderator review.

I received a pm regarding my comment that there is a bit of debate about the precise mechanism of action, for a lifter. Just to be clear, I was not referring to the popular myths. Please see the following discussion.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=80986

1. What is antigravity and how does it work?

Antigravity is a theoretical concept that refers to the absence of gravity or a force that counters the effects of gravity. It is often associated with science fiction, but in reality, there is no known way to create or manipulate antigravity.

2. Can antigravity be used for transportation?

At this point, there is no scientific evidence or technology that allows us to harness antigravity for transportation purposes. The concept of antigravity is still in the realm of science fiction and has not been proven to be possible.

3. Are there any experiments or studies that demonstrate antigravity?

While there have been some experiments and studies conducted to explore the concept of antigravity, none have been able to prove its existence or demonstrate its effects. The scientific community is still actively researching and studying this concept.

4. What are some potential applications of antigravity?

If antigravity were to be proven possible, it could have numerous potential applications in various fields such as space travel, transportation, and materials science. However, until it is proven to be possible, these are all hypothetical possibilities.

5. How can I create an antigravity science project?

As antigravity is still a theoretical concept, it is not possible to create a science project that demonstrates its effects. However, you can explore the concept through research and theoretical experiments, and present your findings and insights in a creative manner.