Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A self regulating containment valve for cooling

1. Nov 11, 2015 #1
    So i want to create a container that is part of a system that already actively cools things that touch it. This variable cannot be changed.
    What i need is a container with some sort of valve that automatically opens up at a certain temperature. Thereby allow air to circulate and reduce the cooling inside.
    I know there are thermostatic valves but they tend to be heat driven, does anyone know of a material or design that will passively open when its a certain temp too cold and close around a certain temp.

I know this is an odd questions, but if anyone will know. You guys are they way.

Much appreciated
    Kyle.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2015 #2

Maylis

Gold Member

You can look at an air to close valve and make a controller do that for you. Are you familiar with process control?

4. Nov 14, 2015 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't see why a bimetallic strip type couldn't be made to work at low temperatures. I don't think they are very accurate though?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook