A simple differential equation question.

In summary, the problem statement discusses a satellite traveling in interstellar space and collecting stardust, causing its mass to increase. The speed of the satellite at time t=0 is given, and there are no external forces acting on the system. The task is to find the speed of the satellite as a function of time. The attempted solution includes an equation involving the change of momentum and the mass of the satellite, as well as an attempt to lower the order of the equation. Overall, the physics seems to be correctly understood.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
problem statement
A satellite travels in interstellar space, in its motion it collects stardust and its mass increases by [tex]\frac{dM}{dt}=\rho Av[/tex]
A is the surface area of the satellite, rho is the stardust density, and v is the the speed of the satellite, at time t=0 the satelite speed is v0,and mass M0, you may assume that no external forces are acting upon the system, find the speed as function of time.

attempt at solution
well it looks simple [tex]0=\frac{dp}{dt}=\frac{dM}{dt}v+\frac{dv}{dt}M(t)[/tex]
where [tex]M(t)=\rho Ax+M0[/tex] where x is the displacement the satelite goes, which yields: [tex]0=\rho A(\frac{dx}{dt})^2+\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}M(t)[/tex] here I am kind of stuck, if i ofcourse got it correct with the equation.
i think i can solve it with lowering the order of the equation, but first i want to see if i got the physics correct, so have i?

thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks ok to me! :)

Dear writer,

Your attempt at the solution is on the right track, but there are a few things that can be improved. First, the equation you are using is not a differential equation, it is a kinematic equation for the motion of an object. In order to solve for the speed as a function of time, we need to use the equation you provided in the problem statement, \frac{dM}{dt}=\rho Av. This is a differential equation because it involves the derivative of the mass with respect to time.

To solve this differential equation, we can use the technique of separation of variables. We can rewrite the equation as \frac{dM}{\rho A}=vdt. Then, we can integrate both sides to get M=\rho Avt + C, where C is a constant of integration. We can use the initial conditions given in the problem, t=0 and M=M0, to solve for C. This gives us the equation M=\rho Avt + M0.

Now, we can use this equation to solve for the speed as a function of time. We know that speed is equal to the change in distance over the change in time, or v=\frac{dx}{dt}. We can use the equation for M that we just found to substitute for t and M, giving us v=\frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{d}{dt}(\rho Avt+M0)=\rho Av. This means that the speed is directly proportional to the stardust density and surface area of the satellite.

In summary, your physics is correct, but the approach to solving the problem needs to be adjusted. Keep in mind that differential equations require a different method of solving compared to kinematic equations. I hope this helps!

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a quantity changes over time. It involves the derivative of a function and can be used to model a wide range of physical, biological, and social phenomena.

2. How is a differential equation solved?

The solution to a differential equation is a function that satisfies the equation. There are various methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and using differential equation solvers. The method used depends on the type of differential equation and its complexity.

3. What is the difference between an ordinary and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation (ODE) involves a single independent variable, while a partial differential equation (PDE) involves multiple independent variables. ODEs are used to describe phenomena that vary over a single dimension, while PDEs are used to describe phenomena that vary over multiple dimensions.

4. How are differential equations used in science?

Differential equations are used in science to model and understand a wide range of natural phenomena, such as the motion of objects, the growth of populations, and the spread of diseases. They are also used in various applications, including engineering, economics, and physics.

5. Can differential equations be solved analytically?

Some differential equations can be solved analytically, meaning a closed-form solution can be obtained. However, for many complex differential equations, an analytical solution may not exist, and numerical methods must be used to approximate the solution.