Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A simulation for finding the origings of life

1. Dec 12, 2014 #1

ShayanJ

Gold Member

I remember, a year or two ago, reading about a group which were simulating the early times of earth's creation and they wanted to see whether life naturally pops out in it. But now I can't find it again or any other news from that group. Does anyone know about such a simulation?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2014 #2

Danger

Gold Member

The only thing that I'm aware of without Googling for it is Stanley Miller's experiments back in the 50's.

4. Dec 12, 2014 #3

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

5. Dec 12, 2014 #4

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Danger mentioned that, and although it was interesting, its not what I was looking for. I was talking about a simulation run on a supercomputer. Its strange no nobody else knows about it. Maybe I misunderstood some article or the writer misunderstood a scientist!

6. Dec 12, 2014 #5

Danger

Gold Member

It wouldn't surprise me at all if someone is doing it; I just haven't heard of it. It seems like a job that BOINC should take on for "distributed computing" (I work on SETI, Einstein @ Home, a global climate model, and about 4 other projects). In fact, maybe they have taken it on and that's how you learned of it. I haven't checked what they're up to recently because the stuff that I'm already doing is demanding enough.

edit: corrected a name

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  7. Dec 12, 2014 #6

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

8. Dec 14, 2014 #7

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Another question. How amino acids can form life?

9. Dec 14, 2014 #8

Pythagorean

Gold Member

With the help of fatty acids. The subject is called abiogenesis. Skip to 3:48 for the good stuff

10. Dec 14, 2014 #9

Pythagorean

Gold Member

As to your original question, I hadn't heard of it, but doing some googling, I found this paper that models abiogenesis in terms of fuel cells, which is an interesting idea:

I also found this press release about using supercomputers to simulate abiogenesis:

Here's the actual research:

11. Dec 22, 2014 #10

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

While reading through an article at C&EN, I think I found the study you're looking for:
    Wang et al. 2014. Discovering chemistry with an ab initio nanoreactor. Nat. Chem 6: 1044. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nchem.2099 [Broken]
    See also this writeup of the research from C&EN: http://cen.acs.org/articles/92/i45/Simulation-Technique-Finds-Reaction-Products.html

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook