A steel rod and an iron rod is placed inside an ac current soleoid

In summary, when a low frequency AC current is used, the rods will become magnetised with changing magnetic polarity. The steel and iron rods may repel each other due to the different strengths of their magnetic fields, and this repulsion may continue even at higher frequencies. However, the steel rod may retain its magnetism for longer due to being a hard magnetic material. To demagnetize a steel object, it can be slowly withdrawn from within a strong AC field.
sgstudent
What happens? I think nothing should happen since the rods will not get magnetised at all due to the ac current..

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have low frequency AC then the bars will become magnetised with changing magnetic polarity. The bars could repel each other although the fact that one bar is steel and the other is iron will produce different strengths so ...? Not sure !
At higher ( mains) frequencies I think you are maybe correct!...I know that mains AC solenoids can be used to demagnetize steel bars by withdrawing them slowly.
I imagine there is not one simple answer.

technician said:
If you have low frequency AC then the bars will become magnetised with changing magnetic polarity. The bars could repel each other although the fact that one bar is steel and the other is iron will produce different strengths so ...? Not sure !
At higher ( mains) frequencies I think you are maybe correct!...I know that mains AC solenoids can be used to demagnetize steel bars by withdrawing them slowly.

Hi thanks for the help. I'm Singaporean so ky syllabus is a lot different, we only touch the basics of magnetism so I'm unsure about this. May I ask what is the relationship between magnetic domain and magnetic field? And why when magnetic shielding occurs, the shielding object does not get magnetised and have its own field?

This question came out in a test. I'll let you know the answer my teacher gives. Thanks!

what happens? I think nothing...

That's probably not true, right? I mean nothing does not happen...I am sure something happens, it is a matter of whether what happens is of interest to you or not or whether it affects you or not...so, maybe some context would have been nice.

Maybe the rods do not get magnetized because of the changing magnetic field, but something happens...because the relative motion between the magnetic field and the rods, eddy currents will be induced into the rods and they will heat up due to their internal resistance...certainly the iron rod, I don't know about the steel one, if by making it out of steel, they meant non-magnetic steel?

gsal said:
That's probably not true, right? I mean nothing does not happen...I am sure something happens, it is a matter of whether what happens is of interest to you or not or whether it affects you or not...so, maybe some context would have been nice.

Maybe the rods do not get magnetized because of the changing magnetic field, but something happens...because the relative motion between the magnetic field and the rods, eddy currents will be induced into the rods and they will heat up due to their internal resistance...certainly the iron rod, I don't know about the steel one, if by making it out of steel, they meant non-magnetic steel?

The question just said, if the dc current was changed to a low frequency ac current, describe what will happen to the rods and explain why.

I know that steel is a hard magnetic material so its harder to get magnetised, but I thought the field will still pass through it so they will still repel no matter what. Thanks for the help

The question just said, if the dc current was changed to a low frequency ac current, describe what will happen to the rods and explain why

Nope, the original posting said absolutely nothing about dc.

gsal said:
Nope, the original posting said absolutely nothing about dc.[/Q

It was a three part question (a) when a steel and iron rod is placed inside a solenoid with a dc current explain what happens (b) what if its iron and copper rod (c) what happens if the experiment was repeated in (a) but a low frequency ac current was used instead of dc.

Steel won't be magnetised easily right? But the magnetic field will still pass through it and change direction. So since its the magnetic field that causes the attraction/repulsion so both the iron and steel will still repel each other?

Besides this, I'm not sure why when I draw magnetic field lines of a magnetic shielding object eg iron, the iron won't get magnetised as well. Because I only draw the lines of the magnet passing through the iron so I'm unsure about this too.

Can I get more help in this

technician said:

This is what my school teacher said: there are 2 scenarios that can happen
1) the iron will keep changing polarity with the changing current. While steel will retain its polarity from the first current direction. This is because steel is a hard magnetic material so it retains it magnetism longer. Thus, it will continuously attract and repel.(this is when the frequency is very very low)
2) the steel and iron will keep repelling each other. This is because the iron is a soft magnetic material so it is able to get magnetised easily. Even though steel is a hard magnetic material, it is able to switch polarity so it will repel from the iron rod.

But won't the steel be unmagnetised?

To demagnetise a steel object you slowly withdraw it from within a strong AC field. Emphasis on the "slowly".

NascentOxygen said:
To demagnetise a steel object you slowly withdraw it from within a strong AC field. Emphasis on the "slowly".
I don't quite get it, slowly is meant to demagnetise it, but I'm still unsure about what if the observations in this case.

1. What is the purpose of placing a steel rod and an iron rod inside an AC current solenoid?

The purpose of placing a steel rod and an iron rod inside an AC current solenoid is to create a strong magnetic field. The steel and iron materials are ferromagnetic, meaning they can be easily magnetized by an external magnetic field. When an AC current flows through the solenoid, it creates a constantly changing magnetic field, which in turn magnetizes the steel and iron rods, resulting in a stronger overall magnetic field.

2. How does the strength of the magnetic field change when a steel rod and an iron rod are placed inside an AC current solenoid?

The presence of the steel and iron rods inside the AC current solenoid significantly increases the strength of the magnetic field. This is because the ferromagnetic materials are easily magnetized and can retain their magnetization even after the current is turned off. Additionally, the steel and iron rods are able to concentrate the magnetic field lines, making the overall field stronger.

3. Is there a difference between using a steel rod and an iron rod inside an AC current solenoid?

Yes, there is a difference between using a steel rod and an iron rod inside an AC current solenoid. Steel is a stronger ferromagnetic material compared to iron, meaning it can be magnetized to a greater extent. This results in a stronger magnetic field when using a steel rod. However, iron is cheaper and more readily available, so it may be a more practical option for some applications.

4. Can the direction of the magnetic field be changed by using a steel rod and an iron rod inside an AC current solenoid?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field can be changed by using a steel rod and an iron rod inside an AC current solenoid. This is because the steel and iron rods can be magnetized in different directions depending on the direction of the current flowing through the solenoid. By changing the direction of the current, the direction of the magnetic field can also be changed.

5. Are there any other materials that can be used instead of steel and iron rods inside an AC current solenoid?

Yes, there are other materials that can be used instead of steel and iron rods inside an AC current solenoid. Some examples include nickel, cobalt, and certain alloys that exhibit ferromagnetic properties. However, steel and iron are the most commonly used materials due to their availability and cost-effectiveness.