A student I am tutoring has asked me to help him formulate a synthesis

In summary, the compound N-ethylpent-4-enoate has caused confusion and difficulty in determining its structural formula. Despite extensive research, it seems that the compound may not exist or the provided formula is incomplete. However, the student claims to have found a successful synthesis pathway using only small molecules and no other organic compounds. A suggested formula for the compound is CH3-CH2-NH-O-C(=O)-CH2-CH2-CH=CH2, but it may actually be N-ethylpent-4-enamide. Further clarification from the teacher is needed to accurately determine the correct formula and synthesis pathway.
mike.bayville
A student I am tutoring has asked me to help him formulate a synthesis pathway for the compound N-ethylpent-4-enoate.

I have spent countless hours trying to determine the structural formula for this compound without success.

I must be missing something so obvious... Like leaves in a forest!

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Chemistry news on Phys.org

The big "N" means usually that the ethyl is bound to a nitrogen in the rest of the structure, however there is none. So this compound either does not exist or the formula you or your student provided is incomplete.

I agree with you!

As a matter of fact, a Google search resulted in essentially one hit from 3 months ago on answers.yahoo.com and the person answering a question regarding the structural diagram of N-ethylpent-4-enoate came to the same conclusion you did.

Now, when I asked the student yesterday to ask his teacher today to confirm the compound name, while I was on hold he claimed to have contacted some other classmates who had successfully produced a synthesis pathway to N-ethylpent-4-enoate from ethane and pentane using "only small molecules and no other organic compounds" per the teacher's instructions.

I am beginning to wonder if he is pulling my leg?

I have to figure some way to get him to ask his teacher or just tell him I cannot help him... I do not know what else to do!

A friend suggested the following formula, but it does not look right to me...

CH3-CH2-NH-O-C(=O)-CH2-CH2-CH=CH2

Any thoughts?

The molecule you were drawing is N-ethylpent-4-enamide

1. What is a synthesis in the context of tutoring?

A synthesis is the process of combining multiple ideas or sources to create a new and unique understanding or perspective on a topic. In tutoring, it often refers to helping a student integrate different concepts or information to form a cohesive understanding of a subject.

2. How can I help a student formulate a synthesis?

To help a student formulate a synthesis, you can guide them through the process of critically analyzing and synthesizing information. This includes identifying key themes or ideas, making connections between different sources, and organizing the information in a logical and coherent manner.

3. What are some strategies for developing a synthesis?

Some strategies for developing a synthesis include actively reading and taking notes on different sources, creating visual aids such as concept maps or outlines, and engaging in discussions or debates about the topic with others.

4. What are the benefits of synthesizing information?

Synthesizing information can help students deepen their understanding of a topic, make connections between seemingly unrelated ideas, and develop critical thinking skills. It can also help them communicate their ideas more effectively and form their own unique perspective on a subject.

5. Can you provide an example of a successful synthesis?

An example of a successful synthesis could be a student taking information from multiple sources on a historical event and using it to create a cohesive and nuanced understanding of the event's causes and effects. This could involve analyzing primary sources, secondary sources, and various perspectives to develop a well-rounded and original interpretation of the event.