Asking the student to use a tablet in online tutoring

In summary, the conversation revolves around the use of a graphics tablet for tutoring a 7th grade math student via zoom. The tutor uses a graphics tablet to write down explanations while the student works on problems on paper and communicates their thoughts. The tutor suggests the student also use a graphics tablet for better interaction and correcting mistakes. However, the potential financial burden for the student is considered. Alternative solutions such as using an iPad or Google applications are proposed. The conversation also mentions tablets without screens, which were input devices in the past. The conversation ends with a possible hack to create a document camera using a laptop webcam and software.
pop_ianosd
I am tutoring a student on 7th grade math via zoom. I am using graphics tablet myself to write down my exposition.

My student solves problems on his (paper) notebook and tells me what he wrote/how he thought it out and I re-write it on the screen and make eventual corrections.
I have the feeling that it would benefit the lessons if I could see exactly what he is writing, so the simplest solution I can think of is that he would use a graphics tablet as well. The ones without screen are quite affordable.

For instance, we could correct any mistakes directly on the students work.
When going together through a problem or a concept, I often have the student fill in the gaps (asking him for what to write).

Again, I have the impression that it would be somehow better for the learning process, if he would have to write the answer instead of saying it.
But I'm not sure it's worth the try.

For one, it might take away some of the student's attention, because there's an extra effort he has to go through in order to write using it.

Secondly, maybe there's not much to gain if I see all that the student writes, after all, doing the writing is most important for him.

Do you have any experience with kids (age ~14) writing on graphics tablets? Do you think it might be worth the try?

Science news on Phys.org
The major problem here is that you are asking a student to possibly get something that he/she does not already own. This can easily be a financial burden, and it is only for one single purpose, which is for his/her interaction with you.

What I suggest you do is first of all, check what the student has access to. Is there anyone he/she knows that already has one of these devices? Even having an iPad will work (I use an app that mirrors the iPad screen onto a web-browser window). Does the school the student goes to provide similar devices? In other words, work with what the student have or can get to without asking him/her to buy one.

If this still doesn't solve it, then you have no choice but to work with what the student has and adjust. Maybe ask the student to e-mail you ahead of time a sample of his/her work so that you can go over with the student during your tutoring session. Or use Zoom's Whiteboard feature and see if both of you can write or draw something legible using it (it's not easy especially using a touchpad). Alternatively, use one of Google's suite of applications such as Google Slide, which is a cousin of PowerPoint. Share the link to a Google Slide with the student, and the two of you can type, draw, etc. on that page. If you want to pay a small fee per year, you can even subscribe to MathType for your Google Slide, giving you an equation editor that will allow both of you to type math equations.

Zz.

• Informative
Likes vela and berkeman
pop_ianosd said:
the simplest solution I can think of is that he would use a graphics tablet as well. The ones without screen are quite affordable.
Sorry, what is a tablet without a screen? I thought that's what a tablet is -- all screen...

1647613136230.png

https://www.cleverfiles.com/howto/what-is-tablet-computer.html

Last edited:
berkeman said:
Sorry, what is a tablet without a screen? I thought that's what a tablet is -- all screen...
You need to think back to the pre-iPad days. Tablets like the Wacom tablet were input devices.

https://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/pen-tablets

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Likes symbolipoint and berkeman
vela said:
Tablets like the Wacom tablet were input devices.
Ohhh! I get it now. I actually designed such a tablet way back in my HP Days!

1647617086400.png

Last edited:
Likes PhDeezNutz
Possibly useful:

a hack to make a document camera using a laptop webcam and a mirror...
and some software to mirror image the camera view.

Note: The video shows an annotation tool.

You could also do a screen capture and mark up the screen capture.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the purpose of using a tablet in online tutoring?

The purpose of using a tablet in online tutoring is to provide a more interactive and engaging learning experience for students. Tablets allow students to access a variety of educational resources, collaborate with their peers, and participate in virtual activities that can enhance their understanding of the material.

2. How does using a tablet benefit the student in online tutoring?

Using a tablet in online tutoring can benefit students by providing them with a more flexible and convenient learning experience. Tablets allow students to access learning materials anytime and anywhere, making it easier for them to fit studying into their busy schedules. Additionally, tablets can offer a more personalized and interactive learning experience, which can lead to improved understanding and retention of the material.

3. Are there any potential challenges or limitations when using a tablet in online tutoring?

Yes, there can be potential challenges or limitations when using a tablet in online tutoring. Some students may not have access to a tablet or may struggle with the technology, which can hinder their learning experience. Additionally, there may be compatibility issues with certain online tutoring platforms and the tablet, which may require troubleshooting and support from the tutor.

4. How can tutors ensure that the use of a tablet in online tutoring is effective?

To ensure the use of a tablet in online tutoring is effective, tutors should provide clear instructions and guidance on how to use the tablet and any relevant apps or software. They should also regularly check in with students to ensure they are comfortable with the technology and address any issues that may arise. Additionally, tutors can incorporate activities and exercises that specifically utilize the tablet to engage students and enhance their learning experience.

5. How can the use of a tablet in online tutoring accommodate different learning styles?

The use of a tablet in online tutoring can accommodate different learning styles by providing a variety of multimedia resources, such as videos, interactive games, and visual aids. This can cater to visual, auditory, and kinesthetic learners. Additionally, tablets allow for more personalized and self-paced learning, which can benefit students who learn at a different pace or in different ways than traditional classroom instruction.