Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A A Supposition of Angular Motion

1. Mar 13, 2017 #1
    Suppose that angular momentum of mass M is equivalent to the angular momentum of the background universe spinning in the opposite direction from center of mass M. Suppose that the background's true rotation is un-observable. What would be the implications of such a supposition?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2017 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

If you suppose that X is unobservable then by definition it has no observable implications.

4. Mar 13, 2017 #3
    X's rotation is unobservable. You can't see it spinning. Maybe you can figure out that it is in other ways.

5. Mar 13, 2017 #4

Dale

Then it is observable

6. Mar 13, 2017 #5
    Yes. It is observable but indirectly. What I mean by "unobservable" is that you cannot see it spinning because it is the background and therefore there is no reference by which to gauge its rotation.

7. Mar 13, 2017 #6

Dale

You don't need a reference to gauge rotation. Rotation is non inertial motion so it is not relative.

8. Mar 13, 2017 #7
    In this supposition. I'd like you to suppose that it is relative and see what the implications are.

9. Mar 13, 2017 #8

Dale

Please PM me with a peer reviewed reference that describes this scenario. I will then reopen the thread for discussion of that paper.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook