1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Textbook that combines biology, chemistry, and physics?

1. Jul 18, 2012 #1
    Is there any textbook or any book (introductory, mostly) out there that combines the teaching of physics, biology, and chemistry phenomenon while appropriately teaching the details for each of the fields as it goes on. Or anything similar?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2012 #2
    I'm not sure that there's anything out there that has quite what you're looking for here.

Having said that, I would suspect that there will be one day, given the rise of integrated science curriculums at various schools. You might be interested in checking out, for example, the Princeton program and seeing what texts they use/recommend.

4. Jul 18, 2012 #3
    Wow, thanks a lot!

Unfortunately, it seems that they don't have the textbook I'm looking for, but rather individual ones that focus on one topic, contrary to my desire.

5. Jul 18, 2012 #4
  6. Jul 18, 2012 #5
    the more broad you go the less you learn, it's not a good idea for studying but maybe for introduction

7. Jul 19, 2012 #6
    You might consider:
    Biological Physics, Energy, Information, Life, Updated 1st Ed.
    by Philip NelsonPublished by W. H. Freeman and Company, NY
    630 pages
    " make the big picture accessible to any student who has taken first-year physics and calculus (plus a smattering of high school chemitry and biology), and who is willing to stretch."

It is a great text!

https://www.amazon.com/Biological-Physics-Updated-Edition-Philip/dp/0716798972

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  8. Jul 19, 2012 #7
    Also a great text:

Intermediate Physics for Medicine and Biology, 4th Edition (Biological and Medical Physics)
    by Russell K. Hobbie, published by Springer

9. Aug 6, 2012 #8
  10. Aug 9, 2012 #9
    A maths textbook! I kid I kid.

Why not try going to second hand stores or advertising in the paper for used high-school "Science" textbooks, saying you don't care if they're from the old syllabus. (The information is usually up-to-date but the syllabus keeps changing to help publishers make money). Actually the fact that they're doing it just to make money is usually illustrated really clearly in how they leave in information which has been discredited.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook