1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Unit Question: Flicking a Switch

1. Dec 14, 2008 #1
    If I wanted to work out the calculations for flicking a lightswitch, what units am I dealing with when I am determining how hard it is to flick the switch?

For example, I am sure that I wouldn't say it takes a certain amount of force because a large force over a short amount of time wouldn't do much. Is it impulse, or work?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It depends what you want to measure.
    There is a peak force needed to overcome the switch mechanism
    You apply this force for a certain time so their is an impulse, you also have to do a certain amount of work on the spring holding the switch. Finally when the switch moves over into the new position it has a certain momentum.

4. Dec 14, 2008 #3
    Well, the problem I have in mind is flicking a light switch with a projectile. I want to know what velocity I have to give an object of mass M in order to flick a light switch. Of course different switches vary and I'm not sure what I should call this varying quantity and what unit it is

5. Dec 14, 2008 #4
    You could measure the lightest object needed to push down the light switch, using only gravity. F= MA and you know the force. As far as velocity, you would need to know the impulse.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?