1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A very basic question about matrix operations

1. May 20, 2014 #1
    This is a very basic question that I've been too embarassed to ask my elementary linear algebra teacher this far into the course:

Lets say we have a matrix

[tex]
    \begin{pmatrix}
    1 & 2 \\
    2 & 1 \\
    \end{pmatrix}
    [/tex]

Why can't we do something like ##R_2 - 2R_1## and ##R_1 - \frac {1}{2} R_2## at the same time? We would be multiplying each row by a multiple of the other. My teacher always does more than one row operation at a time. What is it that I'm missing?

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2014 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re-read your post. I think you made a mis-statement in the highlighted sentence.

4. May 20, 2014 #3
    I edited it and forgot to fix the the plurality. Sorry.

5. May 20, 2014 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Don't you mean that you teacher never does more than one row operation at a time ?

Read the OP again.

6. May 20, 2014 #5
    No he does it all the time, are you not allowed? I've done it on tests and never got marks off for it.

7. May 20, 2014 #6
    I guess that explains that. LOL

8. May 20, 2014 #7
    Are we 100% sure it's not allowed even if you follow some rules? I know he does it, there must be some rules he's following so he doesn't mess up

9. May 20, 2014 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, if your teacher does more than one row operation at a time, I would think it is clear that it's fine to do.

And, yes it is fine to do. Just be careful.

10. May 20, 2014 #9
    Careful how? Is the only thing we need to watch out for accidently creating a row/column of zeros?

11. May 20, 2014 #10

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that sort of thing.

12. May 20, 2014 #11

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You CAN do more than one row operation at the same time, provided that you do not overwrite the old entries by the new ones---doing that would create the unsolvable dilemma of modifying row 2 by adding a multiple of row 1 but modifying row 1 by adding a multiple of row 2 (but row 2 has already been modified using row 1 and row 1 ha been modified by row 2 .... it just never ends). The two operations you pose would be done at the same time by left-multiplying by the matrix
    [tex] \pmatrix{1 & -1/2 \\-2 & 1}[/tex]

13. May 20, 2014 #12
    So I just can't modify a row that I'm adding to another one?

14. May 21, 2014 #13

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It would depend on the order in which you do things, and whether or not you overwrite old entries with new ones, etc.

15. May 21, 2014 #14
    That sounds vague. There's no way to know if I'm messing up without experience?

Edit: I think I kind of get it though, I've been doing it for a while. I was just wondering why it wouldn't work if I did both of those operations at the same time. What I'm really doing is multiple matrix operations in one matrix, and I just need to keep track of which coefficients I'm using in each operation. In the example above, ##R_1 - \frac {1}{2} R_2## , the coefficients for ##R_2## would have to come from the second matrix that would follow the first operation ##R_2 - 2R_1##. I just asked this because I wasn't really sure how to get rid of that paradox if we were technically allowed to do more than one operation at a time.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted