A very quick question about definite integrals

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the derivative and integral of a function, specifically the fundamental theorem of calculus. F'(x) is the derivative of F(x), which is also equal to the integrand f(x). However, f'(x) is not the same as f(t), as they involve different variables. To find f'(x), more information about the function f(x) is needed.
michonamona

Homework Statement

F(x) = [tex]\int^{x}_{0}f(t)dt[/tex]

Then F'(x) = f(x)

what is f'(x)? is this equivalent to f(t)?

Thanks for your help
M

Physics news on Phys.org
F(x) is your integral of f from 0 to x. F'(x) is the derivative of F(x), which is f(x), the value of your integrand f(t) evaluated at t=x. This is just the fundamental theorem of calculus, that the integral is the antiderivative of the integrand.

Thanks for the reply.

so f '(x) IS indeed f(t)? the very same f(t) in F(x)?

michonamona said:
Thanks for the reply.

so f '(x) IS indeed f(t)? the very same f(t) in F(x)?

No. F'(x) is f(x). But, yes, the derivative of the integral is the function you are integrating, isn't that what the fundamental theorem of calculus is all about?

I'm sorry, I don't think my notations are clear. I understand that big F'(x) = f(x), what I'm concerned with is whether small f '(x) is f(t).

so can we write

F(x) = [tex]\int^{x}_{0}f'(x)dt[/tex] = [tex]\int^{x}_{0}f(t)dt[/tex]

You don't have enough information to determine f'(x). The only information you have is that F is an antiderivative of f. A nearly equivalent way to say this is that f is the derivative of F. IOW, F'(x) = f(x).

For example, if F(x) = x3, F'(x) = f(x) = 3x2. To go a step further and find f'(x), you need to know what the function f(x) is.

michonamona said:
I'm sorry, I don't think my notations are clear. I understand that big F'(x) = f(x), what I'm concerned with is whether small f '(x) is f(t).

so can we write

F(x) = [tex]\int^{x}_{0}f'(x)dt[/tex] = [tex]\int^{x}_{0}f(t)dt[/tex]

How can f'(x) be the same as f(t)? They don't even involve the same variable.

Thanks guys, it now makes sense. I keep getting all the notations mixed up.

I appreciate all of your help

M

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve between two points on a graph. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is calculated by taking the limit of a sum of infinitely small rectangles under the curve.

2. How is a definite integral different from an indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, whereas an indefinite integral does not. This means that a definite integral will give a numerical value, while an indefinite integral gives a function.

3. What are the uses of definite integrals?

Definite integrals are used in a variety of fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to calculate quantities such as distance, volume, and work. They are also used in the process of finding antiderivatives.

4. Can definite integrals be negative?

Yes, definite integrals can be negative. The sign of a definite integral depends on the direction of the curve and the limits of integration. A negative definite integral represents a region below the x-axis on a graph.

5. How do I solve a definite integral?

To solve a definite integral, you can use the fundamental theorem of calculus or integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. It is also important to correctly identify the limits of integration and any special properties of the integrand.