1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A "what should I self study this summer?" thread

1. May 12, 2015 #1
    I just finished my sophomore year as an electrical engineering major. Now I've got a summer free (well, I work until 4:30), and I'd like to use it to self study something (one or more topics).

So far, I've taken Calculus 1-3 as well as an ordinary differential equations course. I've taken two courses in circuits (one which primarily focused on signals), two courses in digital design, and an introductory mechanics and an introductory E&M physics course.

I was thinking I could study something math-related that would be useful to me down the road. Something like PDEs or Complex Analysis. My second thought was to get a head start on some electromagnetism, but I don't want that to be a waste of time since I'll be taking a course on it anyway.

Any good suggestions as to things that would be helpful for me to learn over the summer? I'm open to things useful to a wide variety of EE areas or related areas of science and math. Emphasis on things important to EE, but perhaps there's something interesting out there that's not particularly helpful, but is still interesting.

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2015 #2
    Congrats on a successful school year! Don't forget to study and learn non STEM topics so you are a well rounded human being :smile:

4. May 16, 2015 #3
    Of course, I always keep a little room for a little history buffing.

5. May 16, 2015 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Bad way to think. Learn it on your own if possible so that you do better when you enroll in it to study. Use the free time to prepare.

6. May 16, 2015 #5
    I've already done some slight self study on E&M, but I want to explore several options, since there could be some useful topics I should study that I won't be learning in the classroom, yet would be useful to me regardless.

7. May 16, 2015 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

How deeply will you be covering complex analysis and Fourier analysis (they're the same thing basically)? That might be an option?

8. May 16, 2015 #7
    All of our complex and Fourier analysis is learned on the fly. We are not required to take a formal course in complex analysis. These are probably the ones I'm leaning towards most (in addition to reviewing some chemistry, since we aren't required to take a chemistry course). I have a textbook called "Complex Analysis for Scientists and Engineers" at home that I'm thinking about working through.

9. May 16, 2015 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  10. May 17, 2015 #9

ZombieFeynman

Gold Member

Don't discount the value of review. I suggest spending some time doing new problems from old material. Keep those skills sharp.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook