About acceleration and mass....

In summary, lighter objects accelerate faster and go farther than heavier objects. However, when subjected to the same amount of acceleration, both objects decelerate to a stop.
Sundown444
Now, if I recall correctly, lighter objects with smaller inertia do go faster in terms of acceleration and farther than objects with heavier mass or inertia when the same force is exerted on them. But what about same accelerations? If a light object and a heavy object were to undergo the same accelerations even though they are exerted upon by different forces, which one would go farther before stopping whether by friction or something else exerting the same amount of force on both of them into stop them?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sundown444 said:
if I recall correctly, lighter objects with smaller inertia do go faster and farther than objects with heavier mass or inertia when the same force is exerted on them
You don't recall correctly. They accelerate faster according to Newton 2: F = m##\times##a

And, conversely, they decelerate slower [edit] oops: faster , which answers your
Sundown444 said:
which one would go farther before stopping whether by friction or something else exerting the same amount of force on both each of them

Last edited:
BvU said:
You don't recall correctly. They accelerate faster according to Newton 2: F = m##\times##a

And, conversely, they decelerate slower, which answers your

For the first part, so I made a small error. I did mean they accelerate faster rather than go faster, but I didn't think it would matter either way I put it. I can see I was wrong, but with what I was thinking, what I actually said aside, I was technically not incorrect, if you know what I mean.

Still, which one decelerates slower, both of them?

I goofed too: lighter masses decelerate faster. The acceleration and the force simply point in the other direction

Sundown444 said:
But what about same accelerations? If a light object and a heavy object were to undergo the same accelerations even though they are exerted upon by different forces, which one would go farther before stopping whether by friction or something else exerting the same amount of force on both of them into stop them?
Galileo supposedly did that experiment 400 years ago. Two different masses in free fall experience different forces but have the same acceleration, ##g##. The kinematic equations that we now know predict that the two masses will hit the ground at the same time. This means that neither goes farther in the same amount of time.

Likes Lnewqban
kuruman said:
Galileo supposedly did that experiment 400 years ago. Two different masses in free fall experience different forces but have the same acceleration, ##g##. The kinematic equations that we now know predict that the two masses will hit the ground at the same time. This means that neither goes farther in the same amount of time.

Unless air resistance is there and affects the motion of the object. Otherwise, got it. That helped really well, thanks.

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (how much the velocity changes) and direction.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the time it takes for that change to occur. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is mass?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. It is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude and no direction. The standard unit of mass in the International System of Units (SI) is kilograms (kg).

4. How does mass affect acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the more force is needed to accelerate it at a given rate.

5. What is the relationship between acceleration and velocity?

Acceleration and velocity are related in that acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. This means that if an object's acceleration is constant, its velocity will change by the same amount every second. If the acceleration is increasing or decreasing, the change in velocity will also increase or decrease accordingly.