The Effects of Incredibly Small Inertia on Acceleration: A Scientific Inquiry

In summary: With these numbers you will be up to relativistic velocities in less than a nanosecond, and would need to think about relativity theory rather than Newton's laws. But, with that caveat, you are correct.
Sundown444
I have a question about inertia (as in mass and Newton's first law) being extremely small. Now, say the inertia of an object is, say, 0.00000000000000000000005 kilograms, or something like that. Would a light, weak force exerted on the object accelerate the object to high speeds, or would it work any differently from that?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think this question is answerable as written. What do you mean by inertia in this context? And what units are you quoting your number in?

Ibix said:
I don't think this question is answerable as written. What do you mean by inertia in this context? And what units are you quoting your number in?

For the number, it is kilograms. For inertia, it is the tendency to resist change in motion, whether speeding up, slowing down or changing direction. Newton's first law, to be exact.

Sorry I forgot those details.

Ok - so you are using "inertia" to mean "mass". Fine. In that case, ##F=ma## is the only important thing (until we get to relativistic velocity, anyway). If ##m## is very small then ##F/m## will typically be large and so will ##a##.

Exactly what happens depends on how the force is being applied. It might reduce with velocity (like a ship being blown by the wind) or remain constant (like a rocket).

Ibix said:
Ok - so you are using "inertia" to mean "mass". Fine. In that case, ##F=ma## is the only important thing (until we get to relativistic velocity, anyway). If ##m## is very small then ##F/m## will typically be large and so will ##a##.

Exactly what happens depends on how the force is being applied. It might reduce with velocity (like a ship being blown by the wind) or remain constant (like a rocket).

So you're saying both the acceleration and the force will be very large?

Sundown444 said:
So you're saying both the acceleration and the force will be very large?
No. You didn't specify your force, but I had the impression that it wasn't meant to be tiny. I may have inferred incorrectly.

The acceleration will be ##F/m##. If ##F## is very small then the acceleration will be small. But for a given force, a smaller mass will accelerate faster.

Ibix said:
No. You didn't specify your force, but I had the impression that it wasn't meant to be tiny. I may have inferred incorrectly.

The acceleration will be ##F/m##. If ##F## is very small then the acceleration will be small. But for a given force, a smaller mass will accelerate faster.

Okay, so I used a calculator, and I put 500 Newtons over 0.000000000000005 Kilograms and the result I got was 100000000000000000 Meters per second squared. Would that be considered accurate, in that the force here is small and the acceleration is big if the mass or inertia is that small?

Sundown444 said:
Okay, so I used a calculator, and I put 500 Newtons over 0.000000000000005 Kilograms and the result I got was 100000000000000000 Meters per second squared. Would that be considered accurate, in that the force here is small and the acceleration is big if the mass or inertia is that small?
Yes.

russ_watters said:
Yes.

So small forces can produce large accelerations if there are infinitesimal masses (or inertia) in reality, then?

Sundown444 said:
So small forces can produce large accelerations if there are infinitesimal masses (or inertia) in reality, then?
Yes; a=f/m. The equation works the same for an ant and an aircraft carrier.

russ_watters said:
Yes; a=f/m. The equation works the same for an ant and an aircraft carrier.

Okay, thanks!

Sundown444 said:
With these numbers you will be up to relativistic velocities in less than a nanosecond, and would need to think about relativity theory rather than Newton's laws. But, with that caveat, you are correct. There's nothing special about small masses.

Likes russ_watters

1. What is infinitesimal inertia?

Infinitesimal inertia is a concept in physics that refers to the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. It is a property of matter that causes objects to continue moving in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How is infinitesimal inertia measured?

Infinitesimal inertia is typically measured using the mass of an object. The greater the mass of an object, the more inertia it has and the more difficult it is to change its state of motion.

3. What is the difference between infinitesimal inertia and regular inertia?

Infinitesimal inertia is a theoretical concept that describes the behavior of objects on a very small scale, such as at the atomic or subatomic level. Regular inertia, on the other hand, is a macroscopic phenomenon that is observed in everyday objects.

4. How does infinitesimal inertia affect the motion of objects?

Infinitesimal inertia plays a crucial role in the laws of motion and the behavior of objects in the universe. It explains why objects continue moving in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force, and it also helps to explain the behavior of objects in the presence of gravity and other forces.

5. Can infinitesimal inertia be altered or manipulated?

As a theoretical concept, infinitesimal inertia cannot be altered or manipulated. However, it can be affected by external forces, such as gravity or electromagnetic fields, which can change an object's state of motion and therefore its inertia.