About the electric field of a dipole

In summary, the use of dipole moment is to describe the distribution of electric charge in a system, particularly in the case of a dipole where there are two equal and opposite charges separated by a certain distance. It is a useful concept in understanding the behavior of electric fields and potential energies.
norap
I would like to know that 1) Is there a point where the electric field is zero from a dipole?
2) If the point is very far away from a dipole, how is the electric
from the dipole? I mean, for example, if there is a charge +3 and
-1, these two charges will behave like a +2 point charges at large
distance.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi norap and welcome to PF.
norap said:
I would like to know that 1) Is there a point where the electric field is zero from a dipole?
Other than infinity, no. Just think about it. A dipole is two charges of equal size but opposite sign. If there is a point where the E-fied is zero, it should be on the line joining the charges. Any such point is going to be closer to one or the other charge. At the midpoint the electric fields from the individual charges add, they don't give zero.
2) If the point is very far away from a dipole, how is the electric
from the dipole? I mean, for example, if there is a charge +3 and
-1, these two charges will behave like a +2 point charges at large
distance.
[/QUOTE]
What you have described is not a dipole because the sizes of the charges are not the same, but yes, at very large distances this distribution will be like a +2 point charge at the origin.

Thank you very much, Karuman.

sorry, i mean kuruman. =)

norap said:
sorry, i mean kuruman. =)

No offense taken. People mangle my real name too, all the time. :smile:

whats is use of dipole moment?
advanced thanks.

1. What is an electric dipole?

An electric dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges that are separated by a small distance. This separation creates a dipole moment, which is a measure of the strength and direction of the dipole.

2. How is the electric field of a dipole calculated?

The electric field of a dipole can be calculated using the formula E = (1/4πε0) * (2p/r3), where p is the magnitude of the dipole moment and r is the distance from the dipole.

3. What is the direction of the electric field of a dipole?

The electric field of a dipole is directed from the positive charge to the negative charge. This means that the field lines are directed away from the positive charge and towards the negative charge.

4. How does the electric field of a dipole change with distance?

The electric field of a dipole follows an inverse cube law, meaning that as the distance from the dipole increases, the strength of the field decreases rapidly. This is because the field is spread out over a larger area as distance increases.

5. What is the significance of the electric field of a dipole in real-life applications?

The electric field of a dipole plays an important role in various real-life applications such as capacitors, antennas, and molecular interactions. It is also used in medical imaging techniques like magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to produce images of the body's internal structures.