Absolute beginner hobbyist wondering where to start

In summary, the person is interested in electronics as a hobby, and has some basic knowledge from a Circuit Analysis book and a soldering kit. They are wondering how to start and what resources are available for their level. They are advised to get a multimeter and try salvaging components from old equipment, and are given suggestions for projects and tools.
Opus_723
So I'm going into a physics major next year, but lately I've been interested in electronics. Not enough to switch majors, but I'd like to take it up as a hobby at least. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no experience. I have the Circuit Analysis book that EE majors at my school use for the very first Circuit Analysis class, and I've read and understood the first several chapters. Basically just simple series and parallel DC circuits. Ohm's Law, Kirchoff's, etc. I have a soldering kit that I'm learning how to use, and that's basically it. I can buy a multimeter and breadboard and stuff, so long as it's not prohibitively expensive.

But I want to do something with my hands, no matter how excruciatingly basic. I want to tinker. I'm just wondering how I should start. Should I go further in the book first before doing anything? Or can I go ahead and put together a simple LED circuit or something? Should I just get a multimeter and take measurements? Is there any resource that has interesting projects at my level? How do you start this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Opus_723 said:
So I'm going into a physics major next year, but lately I've been interested in electronics. Not enough to switch majors, but I'd like to take it up as a hobby at least. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no experience. I have the Circuit Analysis book that EE majors at my school use for the very first Circuit Analysis class, and I've read and understood the first several chapters. Basically just simple series and parallel DC circuits. Ohm's Law, Kirchoff's, etc. I have a soldering kit that I'm learning how to use, and that's basically it. I can buy a multimeter and breadboard and stuff, so long as it's not prohibitively expensive.

But I want to do something with my hands, no matter how excruciatingly basic. I want to tinker. I'm just wondering how I should start. Should I go further in the book first before doing anything? Or can I go ahead and put together a simple LED circuit or something? Should I just get a multimeter and take measurements? Is there any resource that has interesting projects at my level? How do you start this?

Yes, you should get a multimeter. It should be a digital one, under $20 and not auto-ranging.
So, it should have a lot of switch positions.
Get one with big numbers, so you can read it at a distance.

If you want soldering experience, find a defunct VCR or DVD player and try to remove as many components as possible, but measure them on your multimeter. Most multimeters have a transistor tester and you can probably salvage a few from defunct equipment.

You are starting a bit late, but you should have a good theoretical background and the practical stuff will come easily.

A LED would be a good first project, but you will need 220 ohm resistor and a source of power. Maybe a 9 V battery or you can get holders that hold 4 AA cells and this would give a reasonable 6 Volt supply.
Eventually, a simple regulated power supply would be a good project.

You may be able to find other projects here:
http://www.sentex.ca/~mec1995/gadgets/gadgets.htm [Broken]
but find something that will actually be useful for you. Otherwise, it will just sit on a shelf and annoy you.

Get a pair of sidecutters and a solder sucker.
Here are some more suggestions:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=351351

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are some popular hobbies for absolute beginners?

Some popular hobbies for absolute beginners include painting, photography, gardening, cooking, and playing an instrument.

2. How can I figure out what hobby is right for me?

One way to figure out what hobby is right for you is to think about your interests and passions. You can also try out different hobbies to see what you enjoy the most.

3. Do I need to invest a lot of money in order to start a hobby?

Not necessarily. There are many hobbies that can be done on a budget, such as drawing, writing, and hiking. You can also look for free resources and tutorials online.

4. Is it better to start with a group or on my own?

It depends on personal preference and the hobby itself. Some hobbies, like team sports, are best done in a group setting. Others, like reading or painting, can be enjoyed on your own.

5. Are there any hobbies that can help me learn new skills?

Yes, many hobbies can help you learn new skills. For example, cooking can improve your culinary skills, while learning a musical instrument can enhance your coordination and creativity.