1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Absolute Magnitude of the Full Moon

1. Nov 3, 2012 #1
    Hey guys, I was doing some homework and found something I don't quite understand. When calculating the absolute magnitude of the Full Moon, I came across a square root of its Albedo.

(here - http://space.wikia.com/wiki/Absolute_magnitude).

No idea why it's squared, but I can't get the +0,25 any other way so I guess it's there to stay?b]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The square root is used to get the log scale right:
    As an example: A factor of 100 in the albedo corresponds to a factor of 100 in the light intensity, which is a difference of 5 in the apparent magnitude and therefore a difference of 1 in the logarithm, which corresponds to a factor of 10 in the argument of the logarithm. Therefore, you need the square root of the albedo in that formula.

Take the log with base 100 (or 2.5*log instead of 5*log), and you can use ##\frac{ar^2}{d^2}## as argument, which directly corresponds to the intensity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook