Absolute Magnitude of the Full Moon

In summary, the square root of the albedo is used in the formula for calculating the absolute magnitude of the Full Moon in order to adjust for the log scale and accurately represent the difference in light intensity. This allows for the use of ##\frac{ar^2}{d^2}## as an argument, which directly corresponds to the intensity.
Fabio010
Hey guys, I was doing some homework and found something I don't quite understand. When calculating the absolute magnitude of the Full Moon, I came across a square root of its Albedo.

(here - http://space.wikia.com/wiki/Absolute_magnitude). No idea why it's squared, but I can't get the +0,25 any other way so I guess it's there to stay?b]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The square root is used to get the log scale right:
As an example: A factor of 100 in the albedo corresponds to a factor of 100 in the light intensity, which is a difference of 5 in the apparent magnitude and therefore a difference of 1 in the logarithm, which corresponds to a factor of 10 in the argument of the logarithm. Therefore, you need the square root of the albedo in that formula.

Take the log with base 100 (or 2.5*log instead of 5*log), and you can use ##\frac{ar^2}{d^2}## as argument, which directly corresponds to the intensity.

What is the absolute magnitude of the full moon?

The absolute magnitude of the full moon is -12.74. This value represents the apparent magnitude of the full moon if it were observed from a distance of 10 parsecs (32.6 light years) away.

How is the absolute magnitude of the full moon calculated?

The absolute magnitude of the full moon is calculated using a formula that takes into account the luminosity, distance, and size of the moon. Specifically, the formula is: M = m - 5(log(d/10)), where M is the absolute magnitude, m is the apparent magnitude, and d is the distance in parsecs.

Why is the absolute magnitude of the full moon important?

The absolute magnitude of the full moon is important because it allows scientists to compare the brightness of the full moon to other celestial objects. It also provides a standardized measurement that can be used for further analysis and research.

Has the absolute magnitude of the full moon always been the same?

No, the absolute magnitude of the full moon has changed over time due to changes in the moon's distance from Earth and its luminosity. For example, during a phenomenon called "supermoon," when the moon is at its closest point to Earth, its absolute magnitude can be as bright as -13.2.

How does the absolute magnitude of the full moon affect its appearance to us on Earth?

The absolute magnitude of the full moon does not necessarily affect its appearance to us on Earth. The moon's apparent magnitude, which is affected by its distance and phase, is what determines how bright it appears in the sky. However, the absolute magnitude does play a role in understanding the moon's overall brightness and how it compares to other celestial objects.