Absolute value of exponentials being multiplied

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the absolute value of a complex quantity and specifically the term c1ψ1ψ1+c2ψ2ψ2 in the equation |Ψ(x,t)|2. The correct definition is Ψ∗Ψ, but the conversation also addresses the issue of cancelling the term with an imaginary number and sine. The solution involves explicitly multiplying out the cross terms and using Euler's identity, with the reminder that cosine and sine have certain properties.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
I know this is an elementary question, but it has been some time since I multiplied exponentials, and with imaginary terms combined with absolute values, things get muddled up so easy that I want to clear this up

So if I have

$$ \Psi (x,t) = c_{1} \psi_{1} e^{- \frac {i E_{1}}{\hbar} t} + c_{2} \psi_{2} e^{- \frac {i E_{2}}{\hbar} t} $$

I want to find ##\mid \Psi (x,t) \mid^{2}##

Well, I suppose I will do ##\mid \Psi (x,t) \mid \mid \Psi (x,t) \mid##. My first problem is actually determining the absolute value of this quantity.

$$ \mid c_{1} \psi_{1} e^{- \frac {i E_{1}}{\hbar} t} + c_{2} \psi_{2} e^{- \frac {i E_{2}}{\hbar} t} \mid $$

But how to analyze this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your definition of ##|\Psi(x,t)|^2## is not correct. Since ##\Psi## is complex, you need to evaluate ##\Psi^*\Psi##.

Likes gfd43tg
I know this is dumb, but for a real ##a##, why is ##e^{-ia}*e^{ia} = 1##?? I don't know how to show this.

Short of just giving you the answer, think about the rules of multiplying terms with powers.

oh yeah, duh. I just get freaked out when I see complex numbers and absolute values :cry:

Okay, well I am almost good, but one part I haven't figured out.

I get the answer to be (using Euler's Identity)

$$c_{1}^{2} \psi_{1}^{2} + 2c_{1}c_{2} \psi_{1} \psi_{2} \Big [cos \Big ( \frac {E_{2}t}{\hbar} - \frac {E_{1}t}{\hbar} \Big ) + i \hspace {0.02 in} sin \Big ( \frac {E_{2}t}{\hbar} - \frac {E_{1}t}{\hbar} \Big ) \Big ] + c_{2}^{2} \psi_{2}^{2} $$

However, the answer has the term with ##i \hspace {0.02 in} sin (\theta)## missing. How did that term get cancelled?

I'll just cut to the chase and post the example/solution, how was the term with the imaginary number and sine cancelled??

upload_2015-2-28_15-26-35.png

First off, and I know it's always bold to accuse a textbook of making errors, but the author seems to have missed a ##t## in the ##c_2## exponentials on the penultimate line.

To see the logic, explicitly multiply out the cross terms, remembering the rules for multiplying powers that we discussed earlier. Then use Euler's identity as given in the book, and remember that ##cos(\theta) = cos(-\theta)## and ##sin(\theta) = -sin(-\theta)##.

Does that mean my solution is correct?

No the sine terms should still cancel.

FAQ: Absolute value of exponentials being multiplied

Q1: What is the absolute value of an exponential being multiplied?

The absolute value of an exponential being multiplied refers to the magnitude or distance of the result from zero. It is a measure of how much the result deviates from zero, regardless of its sign.

Q2: How do you calculate the absolute value of an exponential being multiplied?

To calculate the absolute value of an exponential being multiplied, you first perform the multiplication as usual. Then, you ignore the negative sign and only consider the magnitude of the result. This will give you the absolute value of the exponential being multiplied.

Q3: Can the absolute value of an exponential being multiplied ever be negative?

No, the absolute value of an exponential being multiplied can never be negative. It is always a non-negative number, as it represents the distance from zero.

Q4: What is the significance of the absolute value of an exponential being multiplied?

The absolute value of an exponential being multiplied is important because it allows us to focus on the magnitude of the result, rather than its sign. This can be useful in various applications, such as determining the distance between two points on a number line.

Q5: How does the absolute value of an exponential being multiplied affect the overall result?

The absolute value of an exponential being multiplied can greatly impact the overall result, as it determines the distance of the result from zero. For example, if the absolute value is large, the result will also be large, regardless of its sign. Conversely, if the absolute value is small, the result will also be small, again regardless of its sign.

Back