Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Absolute zero and hot in respect to time dilation

1. Dec 5, 2009 #1
    I was thinking, if time passage varies with speed would the speed of atoms random movement (temperature) affect time? For example, if the universe is expanding, as some predict, it will eventually reach a state where everything will reach very near to absolute zero, or maybe absolute zero. If it did reach absolute zero what would happen to time? would it equal infinity? Then, i thought well about 10^-43 seconds after the big bang, when planck temperature (1.416785(71)×10^32 K), supposedly occured. Would time be not stopped? Or going in negative time?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2009 #2

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You might want to go back and try expressing your ideas a little more clearly, and seeing if you can fill in some of the shaky steps in the reasoning. This question doesn't really seem me to be in a form that anyone could really help you with.

4. Dec 5, 2009 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The rate of the passage of time is not a function of temperature. There are some physical processes who'se rates are temperature dependent, but not all are and there is no consistent pattern among them. Some examples:

1. Many chemical reactions slow down as temperature decreases.
    2. Many fluids become more viscous and flow slower as temperature decreases.
    3. A properly designed pendulum clock will not run any slower as temperature decreases.
    4. A device with a spring mechanism for motion may run faster as temperature decreases (the spring will contract and get tighter, increasing the force).
    5. And, of course, the speed of light is not temperature dependent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook