1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Absolute zero

1. Apr 13, 2016 #1
    Why absolute zero of temperature doesn't depend upon properties of substance?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't understand what you mean, can you clarify your question?

If you heat a piece of metal to 100 degrees how is that temperature any different than heating a piece of glass to 100 degrees, or a piece of wood ?

And by the way, "absolute zero" is not believed to be achievable in reality.

4. Apr 13, 2016 #3
    In my syllabus its written "understand that there is an absolute scale of temperature that does not depend on the property of any particular substance"

5. Apr 13, 2016 #4
    do you wish to say that temperature of a body is not absolute and is defined with respect to material/substances?
    do you say 50 degree of water or hydrogen.... or you have scale of measurements including thermodynamic scale.

6. Apr 13, 2016 #5
    -273K is called absolute 0 temperature where there is no any kinetic energy in molecule . Practically it doesn't exist but theoretically it does . So, my question is why absolute zero temperature doesnot depend upon property of particular substance.

7. Apr 13, 2016 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Exactly. Just as there is a scale of length that does not depend on what you are measuring.

8. Apr 13, 2016 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

See post #2

9. Apr 13, 2016 #8
    That was too easy ! thanks man

10. Apr 13, 2016 #9
    Maybe it's easiest to understand in contrast to the Celsius scale. 0 degrees C was once defined as the freezing point of water at one atmosphere. You don't need water to have something at 0 degrees C, but people originally agreed to build the scale around properties of water. The 0 point of Kelvin does not depend on any special substance. It is a universal property.

11. Apr 13, 2016 #10

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think what the syllabus statement means is that the various practical types of thermometer will give different temperature scales that, when extrapolated downwards, will not coincide at the bottom end. The Kelvin Scale of temperatures is based on a more basic (thermodynamic) idea that ignores the deviations that you get with 'real' thermometers e.g Platinum Resistance, Gas, Mercury in Glass, Alcohol which are based on different physical properties of substances.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted