Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Absolutely convergent but not uniformly convergent

1. Nov 20, 2012 #1
    I'm trying to show [itex]\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}2^{k}sin(\frac{1}{3^{k}x})[/itex] does not converge uniformly on any (epsilon, infinity)

now I was able to show that it converges absolutely for x nonzero, by getting it in the form [itex]\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}x\left(\frac{2}{3}\right)^{k}\frac{sinx}{x}[/itex] and so the sinx/x < 1 drops out and so its a convergent geometric series. This x is not really x, I just mean its of the form sinx/x. so the series converges to 3x. However I'm not sure about the uniform part, I'm trying to show for any episilon, I can't bound the tail of the series but I don't know that it converges to 3x do I, all I know is that it converges to something smaller than 3x

so I need to bound the tail using cauchy criterion but can't figure out why it's true. ie for n sufficiently large, [itex]\sum_{k=n}^{m}2^{k}sin(\frac{1}{3^{k}x})[/itex] needs to be less than any given [itex]\varepsilon[/itex]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2012 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

You must use XML-like "tags" before and after the LaTex. The tags are "itex" and "/itex" enclosed inside square brackets for inline LaTex and "tex" and "/tex" for LaTex on its own line.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook