1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Absolutely no idea how to solve these

1. Nov 8, 2006 #1
    I'm asking you guys for serious help in these homework for Engineering physics.

1) Protons having a kinetic energy of 5.00 Me are moving in the positive x direction and enter a magnetic field B = 0.050k (T) directed out of the plane of the page and extending from x=0 to x=1.0 m . Calculate the y component of the proton momentum as they leave the magnetic field.

2) A long piece of wire of mass 0.1kg and length 4.0m is used to make a square coil 0.10m on a side. The coil is hinged along a horizontal side, carries a 3.4 A current, and is placed in a vertical magnetic field of magnitude 0.010 T. Determine the angle that the plane of the coil makes with the vertical when the coil is in equilibrium.

3) A uniform magnetic field of magnitude 0.150 T is directed along the positive x axis. A positron moving at 5.0 x 10^6 m/s enters the field along a direction that makes an angle of 85 degree with the x axis. The motion of the particle is expected to be a helix. Calculate the pitch p and the radius of the trajectory

All these problems are from Engineering Physics , Serway textbook...I stayed up a whole night already, but still couldn't figure out anything...:grumpy:
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

Thread moved to the homework forums.

Welcome to the PF, evildarklord (interesting handle). You need to show some of your own work in order for us to help you (PF rules).

On -1- What equation governs the forces on a charged particle in a magnetic field?

-2- What equations describe the forces on a wire carrying a current?

-3- See -1- above.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?