Exam question that I have no idea how to solve (regarding forces and mass)

In summary, Peter threw 10 coins into an empty container (a tube/drum), which was floating in A LIQUID. The diameter of the container was 2,257 cm, and so because the container is a tube the surface of the tube was equal to π times the diameter squared. He measured, after 4 to up to 10 coins, how much the tube sank deeper into the water, and displayed them on this chart (n = number of coins, Δh = change of height in centimeters).The problem statement is looking into how much a cylinder (tube) will sink in a liquid. The problem gives an equation for the surface area of the sides of the tube if the height of the cylinder is the
kiloNewton
1. The problem statement
Peter threw 10 (same) coins into an empty container (a tube/drum), which was floating in A LIQUID. The diameter of the container was 2,257 cm, and so because the container is a tube the surface of the tube was equal to π times the diameter squared. He measured, after 4 to up to 10 coins, how much the tube sank deeper into the water, and displayed them on this chart (n = number of coins, Δh = change of height in centimeters).

The issue I had here was mostly because it wasn't stated that the container was floating in water, but I assumed it did.

n | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Δh | 9,4 | 10,3 | 12 |13,49 | 15 | 16,9 | 17,6

Q1: What is the mass of one coin?
Q2: What is the mass of the container?

2. The attempt at solution
I know that the volume of water moved = the volume of coins we put in, but to calculate the mass wouldn't we have to know the density of the coins?

ρ = m/V

Now I am guessing that the denisty of the water moved = to the density of the coins moved so;

ρ(H2O) = ρ(coins)

ρ(H2O) = 1000 kg/m^3

Now the second issue:
I have no idea how to proceed with this, since from the change of height it seems like we are using different coins, since the height doesn't increase linearly, but I used the first 2 coins measured.

I used the change of height between the 5th and 4th coin;

h(coin) = 10,3 cm - 9,4 cm = 0,9 cm (not the same with every coin)

The volume of the coin equals the volume of the pushed water so it equals to the height times the surface;

V(coin) = π*r^2 * h
= π*2,257cm^2 * 0,9cm
= 14,4 cm^3 = 1,44 * 10^-5 m^3

And so we use the density from above to calculate the mass of one coin:

ρ(coins) = m(coin) / V(coin)

m(coin) = ρ(coins) * V(coin)
= 1000 kg / m^3 * 1,44 * 10^-5 m^3
= 0,0144 kg = 14,4g

This is where I finished, I do not know how to calculate the mass of the container. Feel free to also correct me on my way to this point, as I am sure I have went wrong somewhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
kiloNewton said:
The issue I had here was mostly because it wasn't stated that the container was floating in water, but I assumed it did.
This is indeed bad, but the problem statement mentiones water later on.
kiloNewton said:
and so because the container is a tube the surface of the tube was equal to π times the diameter squared
I guess this should be radius instead of diameter.
kiloNewton said:
I know that the volume of water moved = the volume of coins we put in
The volume of the coins is not relevant. How do you calculate the volume of water moved for floating objects? Not with the volume of coins.
kiloNewton said:
I have no idea how to proceed with this, since from the change of height it seems like we are using different coins, since the height doesn't increase linearly, but I used the first 2 coins measured.
You can draw a graph and estimate the change per coin. Taking a specific difference is quite imprecise. This graph will also allow to estimate the height at zero coins (just the container).

mfb said:
This is indeed bad, but the problem statement mentions water later on.I guess this should be radius instead of diameter.The volume of the coins is not relevant. How do you calculate the volume of water moved for floating objects? Not with the volume of coins.You can draw a graph and estimate the change per coin. Taking a specific difference is quite imprecise. This graph will also allow to estimate the height at zero coins (just the container).

The formula the problem gives for the surface area would be the area of the sides of the tubular (i.e. cylindrical) container if the height of the cylinder = the circumference of the ends of it. The surface area = Pi D^2 because the cylinder is isotropic ( Can you derive this formula from the geometry of the cylinder?). I guess you are supposed to infer the form of the cylinder from the formula given for the surface area (of the sides). Pi r^2 is the surface area of one end of the cylinder, all of which is immersed. Does this affect the solution? Gotta go. Whoever wrote this problem is very sly. Good luck.

Archimedes had something interesting to say about floating coins in a rubber duck, and contrasted it with dropping the coins directly into the bath. Well, it was something like that, I think. ;)

Mark Harder said:
I guess you are supposed to infer the form of the cylinder from the formula given for the surface area (of the sides).
I don't believe there was any intent to imply a length of the tube; it's just very sloppily worded. It should say something like "the cross-sectional area of a tube is ##\pi r^2##", or maybe "the volume of a tube is ##length* \pi r^2##".
With regard to the data set, there is a possible wrinkle associated with the 10 coin data point, but again, I don't think any such trap is intended.

Yeah, subject to interpretation. I didn't bother to work the whole thing out; maybe that would clarify which assumption needs to be made.

We know the container is a cylinder and we know its diameter. The confusing surface value is irrelevant.

1. How do I calculate the net force on an object?

The net force on an object is the sum of all the forces acting on that object. To calculate it, you need to consider the magnitude and direction of each individual force and add them together using vector addition.

2. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, while weight can change depending on the strength of the gravitational force.

3. How do I determine the direction of motion of an object given its forces?

To determine the direction of motion of an object, you need to consider the net force acting on that object. If the net force is in the same direction as the object's current motion, it will continue moving in that direction. If the net force is in the opposite direction, the object's motion will slow down, stop, or reverse.

4. How do I calculate the acceleration of an object?

To calculate the acceleration of an object, you need to use Newton's second law, which states that acceleration is equal to the net force acting on an object divided by its mass. So, the formula for acceleration is a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is net force, and m is mass.

5. How do I draw a free body diagram for a given situation?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object. To draw one, you need to identify all the forces acting on the object and draw arrows representing their magnitude and direction. It is also important to label each force and ensure that the forces are drawn in the correct relative positions.