Absorption of gamma rays experiment (opinions?)

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment on the absorption of gamma rays using lead as the shielding material. The speaker is seeking suggestions for alternative materials such as sausages, water, or stones. They are advised to consider aluminum or copper, as they have a shorter penetration length for gamma rays compared to lead. The speaker is also directed to consult tables of material properties and NIST attenuation tables for more information on gamma ray attenuation.
don1231915
Hey
I recently did an experiment on the absorption of gamma rays
I calculated the thickness and the no. of counts, got a nice exponential curve.
So, I used lead as the absorbent or shielding material for gamma...
Any suggestions what else I can use for gamma?

I thought about sausages or water or a stone maybe? Is that a good idea.
However, I have no idea how I would calculate the thickness of stones or water?

Please advice me on this!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Physics news on Phys.org
Aluminum or copper would be a good choice if you could find enough. Look at the table of material properties in

http://pdg.lbl.gov/2009/reviews/rpp2009-rev-atomic-nuclear-prop.pdf

especially the column labeled Rad length (radiation length), which is the 1/e penetration length for high energy gamma rays and electrons. Note at bottom of page the radiation length of water and other materials is given. The penetration in water is about 5.6 times more per gram per cm2.** Also see the NIST attenuation table for elements:

http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/XrayMassCoef/tab3.html

Gamma ray attenuation is primarily by Compton scattering and deep core photoejection (photoelectric effect). Low Z materials like aluminum have very little deep core photoejection relative to lead.

Your attenuation measurements will depend on whether you are measuring just the unscattered incident photons, or all the transmitted photons including Compton scattered photons.

**[added] At gamma ray energies near 1 MeV, the gamma ray absorption length is inversely proportional to the density of electrons per cubic cm.

Bob S

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of an absorption of gamma rays experiment?

The purpose of an absorption of gamma rays experiment is to study the interactions of gamma rays with matter and to determine the ability of different materials to absorb these high-energy particles.

2. How is the experiment set up?

The experiment typically involves a gamma ray source, a material to be tested, and a detector to measure the amount of radiation that passes through the material.

3. What factors affect the absorption of gamma rays?

The absorption of gamma rays is affected by the energy of the gamma ray, the density and thickness of the material, and the atomic number of the material.

4. What are the potential applications of this experiment?

This experiment has a wide range of applications, including in nuclear physics, medical imaging, and radiation therapy. It can also be used to study the properties of materials and to develop new materials for shielding against gamma radiation.

5. What are some limitations of this experiment?

Some limitations of this experiment include the difficulty in accurately measuring the energy of the gamma rays and the potential for errors due to scattering of the rays. Additionally, the results may vary depending on the specific conditions and setup of the experiment.