Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Absorption of Light and Energy Conservation

1. Nov 30, 2007 #1
    Hello everybody. I apologize if this question is a little trivial compared to alot of the threads posted, but I am an 8th grade science physical science teacher and am a little confused about some of the material.

From what I understand, if an atom absorbs a photon of energy E, then an electron will jump to a higher energy level. The change in potential energy that results from the EM field will be equal to the energy of the absorbed photon. All this I got from my understanding of spectral lines. Where I am confused is that I know the photon also has momemntum which must be conserved. If the photon transfers is momentum to the atom, the atom must have some Kinetic energy, which on a larger scal will translate to an increase in thermal energy. This seems to violate energy conservation. I know I must be missing something....what is it?!?!

Thanks for the help Y'all!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2007 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The atom does "recoil". However, you need to compare the momentum of a "typical" photon that is involved in such absorption versus the mass of the atom. For example, you don't see the earth recoiling when raindrops hit its surface, do you? Even a larger comet hitting the earth doesn't cause it to recoil much.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?