Absorption spectrum of water in the UV range

In summary, the absorption spectrum of water in the UV range refers to the wavelengths of ultraviolet light that are absorbed by water molecules. It is important to understand this spectrum in order to comprehend the impact of UV radiation on aquatic ecosystems as well as its effects on the human body. UV light can cause damage to aquatic life by damaging their DNA, which can lead to mutations and harmful effects. The ozone layer plays a crucial role in filtering out UV radiation, and when it is depleted, more UV light can reach bodies of water, increasing harm to aquatic life. The absorption spectrum of water in the UV range can be measured using a spectrophotometer, which measures the amount of light absorbed by a sample of water at different wavelengths.
Hi all,

I have not seen a separate section for photonics, so I'll post my question here :

Does anyone have measurement data of the absorption spectrum of (liquid) water in the wavelength range of 180 - 250 nm ?

Physics news on Phys.org

I can provide some information on the absorption spectrum of water in the UV range. Water has a strong absorption band in the UV range, with a peak at around 190 nm. This is due to the electronic transitions of the water molecule, specifically the stretching and bending of the O-H bonds. The absorption spectrum of water in this range is important for understanding the photobiological effects of UV radiation on aquatic organisms.

There have been numerous studies that have measured the absorption spectrum of water in the UV range, with some variations depending on factors such as temperature and purity of the water sample. One example is a study published in the Journal of Physical Chemistry A, which measured the absorption spectrum of water in the range of 150-250 nm at different temperatures.

It is also worth noting that the absorption spectrum of water in the UV range can be affected by dissolved impurities or contaminants, so the purity of the water sample should be taken into consideration when interpreting the data.

In conclusion, while there may not be a specific section for photonics, there is a wealth of research and data available on the absorption spectrum of water in the UV range. I hope this information is helpful and I encourage further exploration and investigation into this topic.

1. What is the absorption spectrum of water in the UV range?

The absorption spectrum of water in the UV range refers to the wavelengths of ultraviolet light that are absorbed by water molecules. This can vary depending on factors such as the temperature and purity of the water.

2. Why is the absorption spectrum of water in the UV range important?

Understanding the absorption spectrum of water in the UV range is important for a variety of reasons. It can help us understand the effects of UV radiation on aquatic ecosystems, as well as the impact of UV light on the human body when we are exposed to it through water.

3. How does the absorption spectrum of water in the UV range impact aquatic life?

The absorption spectrum of water in the UV range can have significant effects on aquatic life. UV light can cause damage to the DNA of organisms, leading to mutations and potentially harmful effects such as reduced growth and reproduction.

4. What is the relationship between the absorption spectrum of water in the UV range and the ozone layer?

The ozone layer plays a crucial role in filtering out UV radiation from the sun. When the ozone layer is depleted, more UV light is able to penetrate the atmosphere and reach bodies of water, increasing the potential harm to aquatic life.

5. How can we measure the absorption spectrum of water in the UV range?

The absorption spectrum of water in the UV range can be measured using a spectrophotometer, which measures the amount of light absorbed by a sample of water at different wavelengths. This data can then be used to create a graph of the absorption spectrum.