1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract algebra: f(x) is reducible so is f(x+c)

1. Oct 14, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let F be a field and f(x) in F[x]. If c in F and f(x+c) is irreducible, prove f(x) is irreducible in F[x]. (Hint: prove the contrapositive)

2. Relevant equations

So, im going to prove if f(x) is reducible then f(x+c) is reducible.

3. The attempt at a solution

f(x) = g(x)h(x) for g,h in F[x]. If [tex]f(x) = \sum{a_{i}x^i} = \sum{b_{i}x^i} \cdot \sum{c_{i}x^i} = g(x)h(x)[/tex] then [tex]f(x+c) = \sum{a_{i}(x+c)^i}[/tex]

Now i just actually work through the algebra and after all is said and done, i should see that its equivalent to

[tex]\sum{b_{i}(x+c)^i} \cdot \sum{c_{i}(x+c)^i}[/tex] ?

Now, if this is a correct approach, i was thinking it involves alot of work.

I was thinking about the evaluation homomorphism [tex]\phi_{x+c}:F[x] \rightarrow F
    [/tex] given by (including notational convenience) [tex]\phi_{x+c}(f(x)) = \phi(f,x+c) =
    f(x+c)[/tex] i.e. f evaluated at element x+c.

I know [tex]\phi[/tex] is a surjective homomorphism; so if f(x) is reducible,
    [tex]\phi(f,x+c) = \phi(gh,x+c) = \phi(g,x+c)\phi(h,x+c)[/tex] but i cannot take that last part and equate it to [tex]g(x+c)h(x+c)[/tex] unless [tex]\phi[/tex] were injective.

Now, I know that in infinite field F, F[x] is isomorphic to the ring of its induced functions. That is to say, if F is infinite, then any two polynomials that look the same, act the same.
    And vice versa, if two induced functions act the same, they are the same looking polynomial.

I am desiring some kind of isomorphism, call it [tex]\gamma[/tex] so i could simply
    do this : [tex]\gamma(f, x+c) = \gamma(gh, x+c) = \gamma(g,x+c)\gamma(h,x+c) = g(x+c)h(x+c)[/tex] but i dont know how to get there.

Someone had suggested adapting evaluation homomorphism instead of from F[x] to F, i have it go F[x] to F[x] by treating the x as a polynomial instead of an element of F
    such that [tex]\phi(f,x+c) = f(x+c)[/tex]; then showing if [tex]\phi(f(g),x)=\phi(f,\phi(g,x))[/tex] where that f(g) is formal composition and the right hand side is functional composition, it would be relevant.

Please, any thoughts? Very curious to know more of whats going on. I know there are many things going on here. Please help. THanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thus f(x+c)=.....

There was no need to write more than a few symbols and, what, 4 words?
  4. Oct 15, 2007 #3
    isn't the factorization g(x)h(x) just for the polynomial described by f(x)?

the polynomial f(x+c) is a fundamentally different polynomial? I realize that f evaluated at x+c can be thought of as g evaluated at x+c times h evaluted at x+c, but thats as far as i can get? just because the evaluation is the same doesn't mean i can go back and assume that i got their via the function induced by the polynomial g(x+c) and the function induced by h(x+c)?

basically i feel that f(x) = g(x)h(x) expresses an identity namely, the polynomial [tex]\underbrace{\sum{a_{i}x^i}}_{f(x)} = \underbrace{\sum{b_{i}x^i}\cdot \sum{c_{i}x^i}}_{g(x)h(x)}[/tex], but i can't "plug in" x+c on the LHS because im not evaluating it. The equality is all that is given. this is why i was discussing a modified evaluation map [tex]\phi(f,x):F[x]\rightarrow F[x] = [/tex] the polynomial f "evaluated" not at x in F but at polynomial x in F[x].
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  5. Oct 15, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let's try this. x^2+x=x(x+1). Change x to x+c. (x+c)^2+(x+c)=(x+c)(x+c+1). Expand both sides. Magically both are x^2+x+2cx+c^2+c. f(x+c) factors the same way as f(x). It's not even really magic. x is just a symbol, and so is x+c. I can use them interchangably. x is just easier to write than x+c.
  6. Oct 15, 2007 #5
    Right, but thats just verifying one instance. It goes back to what i was saying earlier, that i have to write the formal product g(x+c)h(x+c) (meaning if g(x) = b_0 + b_1x^1 + .. b_nx^n and h(x) = c_0 + ... + c_mx^m then g(x+c)h(x+c) = b_0c_0 + ... + b_nc_mx^{n+m} which if i actually wrote it out more is much more work than that) and then showing that its in fact equal to f(x+c) = a_0 + a_1(x+c)^1 + ... + a_n(x+c)^n

This is the basis of my question because i said that is only one method which involves alot of work. Thus i wanted to ask about alternative methods.

really? i thought you can only use them interchangebly when you are talking about the polynomial function, not the polynomial.

is it true that x in f(x) doesnt represent anyhting; the x in general represents an indeterminate in the ring of polynomials, but f(x) merely denotes a polynomial in F[x]. like, we can't "pull out" the x in f(x) and talk about that ? the x in the induced function f(x) from the ring of induced functions which is induced from the polynomial f(x) in F[x] represents a "pluggable" variable
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  7. Oct 15, 2007 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not just verifying one instance - and I didn't HAVE to multiply it out, I just wanted to emphasize that it's concretely true. f(x+c) IS a different polynomial from f(x). You can see that in the example. But the factorization f(x)=g(x)h(x) is true for ALL x. So f(y)=g(y)h(y), f(z)=g(z)h(z), f(pi+1)=g(pi+1)h(pi+1) and even f(x+c)=g(x+c)h(x+c).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?