Abstract Algebra First Isomorphsm Theorem

In summary: Proof: (We use the universal property of polynomial rings.)First, since \mathrm{ev}_\xi is a map from A[X] to B, we need to check that \mathrm{ev}_\xi respects addition and multiplication in A[X].For addition: given two polynomials \sum_{i=0}^n a_i X^i and \sum_{i=0}^m b_i X^i in A[X], \mathrm{ev}_\xi(\sum_{i=0}^n a_i X^i + \sum_{i=0}^m b_i X^i) = \sum_{i=0}^n a_i \xi^i + \
CurtBuck

Homework Statement

Use the First Isomorphism Theorem to show that Q[x]/(x^3-3) is isomorphic to {a+b*sqrt(3)}

Homework Equations

First Isomorphism Theorem:
If f: G-> H is a homomorphism then G/ker(f) is isomorphic to im(f)

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that I need to show that Q[x] is homomorphic to {a+b*sqrt(3)} with a kernel of x^3-3. I am really struggling in finding that homomorphism. I see the connection between sqrt(3) and x^3-3, e.g. sqrt(3) is a root of x^3-3, but I don't understand how this helps.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is clear that you should choose f(q)=q, for every [tex]q\in \mathbb{Q}[/tex]. So you only need to know what f(x) is. What you certainly want is [tex]f(x^3-3)=0[/tex]. Using that f should be a homomorphism yields that [tex]f(x)^3-3=0[/tex]. So what should be f(x)?

First, I apologize, I meant to right that the polynomial being modded out of Q[x] is x^2 - 3, not x^3 - 3.

So that being said, I understand that f(x)^2 - 3 = 0 implies that f(x) = sqrt(3).

But then how would one generalize this?

Well, f(q)=q for [tex]q\in \mathbb{Q}[/tex] and [tex]f(x)=\sqrt{3}[/tex].

So [tex]f(a+bx)=a+b\sqrt{3}[/tex] and [tex]f(a+bx+cx^2)=a+b\sqrt{3}+c\sqrt{3}^2=a+3c+b\sqrt{3}[/tex]. Now try to generalize what I'm doing here...

I understand what you're doing there.

Two more things:

How do I prove that this a homomorphism?

Also, wouldn't 0 also be in the kernel? Is this allowed for the First Isomorphism Theorem?

Hmm, showing that this is a homomorphism is indeed not so easy.

First take a general polymial and calculate

[tex]f\left(\sum_{k=0}^n{a_kx^k}\right)[/tex]

This will help you. Then with this information, you only need to calculate

[tex]f\left(\sum_{k=0}^n{a_kx^k}+\sum_{k=0}^n{b_kx^k}\right)[/tex]

and

[tex]f\left(\sum_{k=0}^n{a_kx^k}\sum_{k=0}^n{b_kx^k}\right)[/tex].

As for the other question. Of course 0 is going to be in our kernel, and this is not a problem. The first isomorphism theorem requires us that the kernel equals [tex](x^2-3)[/tex], that is: the ideal generated by [tex]x^2-3[/tex]. And 0 is in this ideal...

To show that "evaluation at [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]" is a homomorphism, it's actually a little easier to prove a general theorem that "evaluation maps are homomorphisms":

If [tex]A \subset B[/tex] are rings and [tex]\xi \in B[/tex], then the "evaluation at [tex]\xi[/tex]" map [tex]\mathrm{ev}_\xi: A[X] \to B[/tex] given by extending the inclusion map [tex]A \hookrightarrow B[/tex] by sending [tex]X \mapsto \xi[/tex] is a homomorphism.

(You can generalize this a little further by letting [tex]A[/tex] be embedded in [tex]B[/tex] via a homomorphism [tex]\varphi: A \to B[/tex] rather than directly a subring of [tex]B[/tex]; then the evaluation map extends [tex]\varphi[/tex] by sending [tex]X \mapsto \xi[/tex], rather than extending the inclusion map.)

1. What is the First Isomorphism Theorem in Abstract Algebra?

The First Isomorphism Theorem states that if f is a homomorphism from a group G to a group H, then the kernel of f is a normal subgroup of G and the image of f is isomorphic to the quotient group G/ker(f).

2. How is the First Isomorphism Theorem used in Abstract Algebra?

The First Isomorphism Theorem is used to show the relationship between the structure of a group and the structure of its quotient groups. It allows us to break down a complex group into simpler, isomorphic groups, making it easier to study and understand.

3. Can you provide an example of the First Isomorphism Theorem in action?

Consider the group G = (Z, +) and the subgroup H = (2Z, +) of even integers. The homomorphism f: Z → Z/2Z given by f(x) = x(mod 2) has a kernel of 2Z and an image of Z/2Z. By the First Isomorphism Theorem, we can conclude that Z/2Z is isomorphic to G/ker(f) = Z/2Z.

4. What is the significance of the First Isomorphism Theorem in Abstract Algebra?

The First Isomorphism Theorem is significant because it allows us to classify groups and understand their structure through isomorphism. It also provides a powerful tool for proving other theorems and properties in Abstract Algebra.

5. Are there any limitations to the First Isomorphism Theorem?

Yes, the First Isomorphism Theorem only applies to homomorphisms, which are structure-preserving maps between groups. It does not apply to all maps between groups, as some maps may not preserve the group structure. Additionally, the groups must be finite or at least have finite index in order for the theorem to hold.