Is F Isomorphic to Its Own Quotient by {0}?

In summary: It would have been clearer if the OP had written something like "Let F be a field. Show that there exists an isomorphism between F and the quotient ring F/{0}."In summary, the OP is trying to show that a field F is isomorphic to the quotient ring F/{0}, by using the first ring isomorphism theorem and proving that the kernel of the homomorphism is an ideal. However, there may be some confusion as to whether the OP meant the set-theoretic difference or the ring modulo. It would be clearer if they specified that they meant the ring modulo.
HaLAA

Homework Statement

Let F be a field. Show that F is isomorphic to F/{0}

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

By the first ring isomorphic theorem, kernel of the homomorphism is an ideal which is either {0} or I. Hence F isomorphic to F/{0}

I think I misunderstood the problem can anyone check my work where I did wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
For two fields to be isomorphic, there has to be a bijective homomorphism between them:

$$\phi : F \rightarrow (F - \{0\})$$

You need to define the map you used to show ##\text{ker}(\phi)## is an ideal of ##F##. You then need to show ##\ker(\phi)## really is an ideal.

Then I would be convinced.

You could also go the long way by proving the map you've defined is a bijective homomorphism between the fields, which would imply the fields are isomorphic to each other.

Zondrina said:
For two fields to be isomorphic, there has to be a bijective homomorphism between them:

$$\phi : F \rightarrow (F - \{0\})$$

You need to define the map you used to show ##\text{ker}(\phi)## is an ideal of ##F##. You then need to show ##\ker(\phi)## really is an ideal.

Then I would be convinced.

You could also go the long way by proving the map you've defined is a bijective homomorphism between the fields, which would imply the fields are isomorphic to each other.

Suppose $\phi : F\rightarrow F$ is an identity homomorphism, then $\ker(\phi)=\{0\}$ is an ideal of $F$ and hence $F/\{0\}\cong F$ by the first ring isomorphism.

an identity homomorphism

Are you saying ##\phi(f) = f, \forall f \in F##? If so there is a problem because ##\phi(0) = 0## and ##0 \notin (F - \{ 0 \})##.

Zondrina said:
Are you saying ##\phi(f) = f, \forall f \in F##? If so there is a problem because ##\phi(0) = 0## and ##0 \notin (F - \{ 0 \})##.

The OP means ##F/\{0\}##, which means the ring ##F## modulo ##\{0\}##. He does not mean the set theoretic difference ##F\setminus \{0\}## (in that case, the result in the OP is obviously false).

HaLAA said:
Suppose $\phi : F\rightarrow F$ is an identity homomorphism, then $\ker(\phi)=\{0\}$ is an ideal of $F$ and hence $F/\{0\}\cong F$ by the first ring isomorphism.

Correct.

micromass said:
The OP means ##F/\{0\}##, which means the ring ##F## modulo ##\{0\}##. He does not mean the set theoretic difference ##F\setminus \{0\}## (in that case, the result in the OP is obviously false).

Oh I thought the OP was intending to mean the set theoretical difference.

I never knew \setminus was the way to do that, so I guess I learned something too.

The OP is correct if they were intending modulo, but I definitely would have been a bit more explicit when asking.

Zondrina said:
Oh I thought the OP was intending to mean the set theoretical difference.

I never knew \setminus was the way to do that, so I guess I learned something too.

The OP is correct if they were intending modulo, but I definitely would have been a bit more explicit when asking.

I agree, I was very confused too.

Related to Is F Isomorphic to Its Own Quotient by {0}?

1. What is an isomorphism?

An isomorphism is a mathematical concept that describes a one-to-one correspondence between two mathematical structures, such as groups, rings, or vector spaces. This means that there is a mapping between the elements of the two structures that preserves the operations and structure of the original structures.

2. What is the significance of "F/{0}" in this context?

In this context, "F/{0}" represents the quotient group of the field F by the subgroup {0}. This means that we are dividing the elements of F by the identity element, or 0, and the resulting group contains all non-zero elements of the original field F.

3. How do we prove that F is isomorphic to F/{0}?

To prove that F is isomorphic to F/{0}, we need to show that there exists a bijective homomorphism, or a one-to-one mapping that preserves the operations, between the two structures. This can be done by defining a mapping between the elements of F and F/{0} and showing that it satisfies the properties of an isomorphism.

4. What are the benefits of showing that F is isomorphic to F/{0}?

Showing that F is isomorphic to F/{0} allows us to simplify and generalize certain properties and theorems that hold for F to also hold for F/{0}. This can make calculations and proofs easier and more efficient, and also allows us to apply theorems from one structure to another.

5. Are there any limitations to the statement "F is isomorphic to F/{0}"?

Yes, there are limitations to this statement. It only holds true for fields F that are infinite. If the field F is finite, then F/{0} is not a valid quotient group and the statement "F is isomorphic to F/{0}" does not hold. Additionally, this statement only applies to fields, and not all mathematical structures can be shown to be isomorphic to a quotient group.