Abstract Algebra Proof Using the First Isomorphism Theory

In summary: In this case, you can use the fact that b is equal to f(x,y) and set x and y equal to certain values to make it work.
babygotpi

Homework Statement

See attatchment. I couldn't upload the picture.

2. The attempt at a solution
I have the following:

Define mapping f: ℝ2 -> ℝ as follows:
f(x,y) = 3x - 4y

Claim: f is a homomorphism

Pick any (x,y) in ℝ2. Then f(x,y) = f(x)*f(y) = 3x - 4y = (x+x+x)-(y+y+y+y) = x+x+x-y-y-y-y = f(x*y). Hence, it perserves the operation.

Claim: f is onto.
Pick any (x,y) in ℝ2 such that (x,y) = (1,0). Then...

I don't think I'm going the right way on showing f is onto.

Attachments

• number 6.png
    number 6.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 455
Physics news on Phys.org
babygotpi said:

Homework Statement

See attatchment. I couldn't upload the picture.

2. The attempt at a solution
I have the following:

Define mapping f: ℝ2 -> ℝ as follows:
f(x,y) = 3x - 4y

Pick any (x,y) in ℝ2. Then f(x,y) = f(x)*f(y) = 3x - 4y = (x+x+x)-(y+y+y+y) = x+x+x-y-y-y-y = f(x*y). Hence, it perserves the operation.

Claim: f is onto.
Pick any (x,y) in ℝ2 such that (x,y) = (1,0). Then...

I don't think I'm going the right way on showing f is onto.
So for your map [itex]f[/itex] :

By the first isomorphism theorem, if you can show f is a homomorphism that is either surjective or injective. Then the map f is an isomorphism such that [itex]f: G/Ker(f) → f(G)[/itex].

So if f is already a homomorphism say, and you've shown its either 1-1 or onto, then it follows its an isomorphism right? Now could you tell me why its an isomorphism?

Also, welcome to PF.

Hint : What is the structure of N? Is it finite or infinite?

Last edited:
Thanks. Glad to be part of PF.
This is my final answer.
Define mapping f: ℝ2 -> ℝ as follows: f(x,y) = 3x - 4y

Pick any X, X1 ∈ ℝ2 in which X = (x1, y1) and x1 = (x2, y2). Then:

f(x*x1 ) = f(x1+y1, x2+y2) = f(x1+y1) +f(x2 +y2) = f(x+x1 ). Hence, f perserves the operation.

Claim: f is onto

Pick any elemnet of b ∈ ℝ. Let x = (x0, y0) ∈ ℝ2 such that f(x) = 3x0 - 4y0 = b.

Can be rewritten as x = (b+4y0)/3 or ((b+4)/3 , y0) which ∈ ℝ2 . this implies that f is onto. Since ker(f) = N, the first isomorphism theory implies that ℝ2 / N is isomorphic to ℝ.

How does that sound!?

babygotpi said:
Thanks. Glad to be part of PF.
This is my final answer.
Define mapping f: ℝ2 -> ℝ as follows: f(x,y) = 3x - 4y

Pick any X, X1 ∈ ℝ2 in which X = (x1, y1) and x1 = (x2, y2). Then:

f(x*x1 ) = f(x1+y1, x2+y2) = f(x1+y1) +f(x2 +y2) = f(x+x1 ). Hence, f perserves the operation.

Claim: f is onto

Pick any elemnet of b ∈ ℝ. Let x = (x0, y0) ∈ ℝ2 such that f(x) = 3x0 - 4y0 = b.

Can be rewritten as x = (b+4y0)/3 or ((b+4)/3 , y0) which ∈ ℝ2 . this implies that f is onto. Since ker(f) = N, the first isomorphism theory implies that ℝ2 / N is isomorphic to ℝ.

How does that sound!?

Change the x's in this quote into big X and big X1 :

As for you other question :

Well, to show f is onto, you have to show that for any [itex]b \in f(N)[/itex], there exists an [itex]a \in N/Ker(f)[/itex] such that [itex]f(a) = b[/itex] right?

I don't understand. Did I not show it was onto?

babygotpi said:
I don't understand. Did I not show it was onto?

Your proof wasn't correct. You said immediately to take x such that f(x)=b. But you have to show that such an x actually exists, you can't assert it as true.

You need to start by taking an element b and then actually finding an x such that f(x)=b.

1. What is the First Isomorphism Theory in Abstract Algebra?

The First Isomorphism Theory is a fundamental concept in abstract algebra that states the existence of an isomorphism (a bijective homomorphism) between two quotient groups. It is often used to prove the isomorphism between two groups by showing the existence of a homomorphism with a specific kernel.

2. How is the First Isomorphism Theory used in Abstract Algebra proofs?

The First Isomorphism Theory is used in abstract algebra proofs to show the isomorphism between two groups. This is achieved by constructing a specific homomorphism with a known kernel and using the First Isomorphism Theorem to prove the isomorphism between the two quotient groups.

3. What is the First Isomorphism Theorem in Abstract Algebra?

The First Isomorphism Theorem states that if a homomorphism exists between two groups, then the quotient group of the first group by the kernel of the homomorphism is isomorphic to the image of the homomorphism in the second group.

4. What is the role of the kernel in the First Isomorphism Theory?

The kernel plays a crucial role in the First Isomorphism Theory as it is used to construct a homomorphism between two groups. The kernel is the set of elements in the first group that are mapped to the identity element in the second group by the homomorphism. It helps to show that the quotient group of the first group by the kernel is isomorphic to the image of the homomorphism in the second group.

5. Can the First Isomorphism Theory be applied to other algebraic structures?

Yes, the First Isomorphism Theory can be applied to other algebraic structures such as rings, modules, and vector spaces. In these cases, the homomorphism is defined differently, but the general idea of the First Isomorphism Theorem remains the same - to show the isomorphism between two quotient structures.