Abstract Algebra: Rings, Unit Elements, Fields

In summary, In order to find the inverse of a ring operation, you need to find the identity under that operation.
S_Manifesto
1) Show that (R,*,+) is a ring, where (x*y)=x+y+2 and (x+y)=2xy+4x+4y+6. Find the set of unit elements for the second operation.

I understand that the Ring Axioms is 1. (R,+) is an albein group. 2. Multiplication is associative and 3. Multiplication distributes. I just don't understand how to go about this. A First Course in Abstract Algebra by John Fraleigh fails to show any examples of this type.

2) Let f: Z[√d]→M be an application such that f)x+y√d=A where
[x y]
A = Matrix[yd x]

Show that f is an isomorphism of rings.

I understand that I have to check the conditions of it being isomorphic, but once again the book does not give examples of how to do so. It's hard to attempt problems when I don't know where to begin.

Physics news on Phys.org
It will help avoid confusion if you adopt different symbols for different operations instead of using + for the ring operation and for normal addition.
Let's start with showing * is associative, i.e. (a*b)*c = a*(b*c). Write that out using the definition of * you are given.

haruspex said:
It will help avoid confusion if you adopt different symbols for different operations instead of using + for the ring operation and for normal addition.
Let's start with showing * is associative, i.e. (a*b)*c = a*(b*c). Write that out using the definition of * you are given.

What I came up with was (x*y)=(y*x) → x+y+2 = y+x+2 to show it's albein.
x+(y+z)=(x+y)+z → x+(2yz+4y+4z+6)=(2xy+4x+4y+6)+z and got 4xyz+8xy+8xz+8yz+16x+16y+16z+30 = 4xyz+8xy+8xz+8yz+16x+16y+16z+30

For x+(y*z)=(x+y)*(x+z) → x+(y+z+2)=(2xy+4x+4y+6)*(2xz+4x+4z+6) and got 2xy+2xz+8x+4y+4z+14 = 2xy+2xz+8x+4y+4z+14

Looks fine (though I still wish you'd adopted a different symbol for one of the pluses).

haruspex said:
Looks fine (though I still wish you'd adopted a different symbol for one of the pluses).

The question has a plus with a circle around it, I don't know how to make that symbol.

But that's correct?

Yes, your solution looks fine.
If you click 'go advanced' then the capital sigma symbol from the options that appear you get a LaTex reference panel. In there, open Binary Operators. But for the purpose of the thread, you could have just chosen some character like %, provided you explained it.

S_Manifesto said:
The question has a plus with a circle around it, I don't know how to make that symbol.

But that's correct?

Here ...

S_Manifesto said:
Show that (R,*,[itex]\oplus[/itex]) is a ring, where x*y=x+y+2 and x[itex]\oplus[/itex]y=2xy+4x+4y+6. Find the set of unit elements of the second operation.

I've showed that it is a ring, showing it is Albein, Associative, and Distributive, but I do not know how to find the inverse to find the unit elements.

All I know is that I need to replace y with x'

You meant the first operation *, right? If you've shown it's an abelian group then you already know there are inverses under [itex]\oplus[/itex]. You should probably find the identity under * in your ring first. What is it?

What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures, such as rings, groups, and fields, in an abstract and generalized manner. It focuses on the properties and relationships between these structures rather than specific numbers or equations.

What is a ring in abstract algebra?

A ring is a set of elements with two operations, addition and multiplication, that follow a set of axioms. These axioms include closure, associativity, commutativity, distributivity, and the existence of an additive identity element. Rings can be commutative or non-commutative depending on the properties of their multiplication operation.

What is a unit element in abstract algebra?

A unit element, also known as an identity element, is an element in a ring that when multiplied with any other element in the ring, gives back that same element. In other words, it acts as a neutral element for multiplication. In a ring, the unit element for addition is typically denoted as 0, while the unit element for multiplication is denoted as 1.

What is a field in abstract algebra?

A field is a commutative ring in which every non-zero element has a multiplicative inverse. This means that for every element a in the field, there exists another element b such that a*b = 1. Examples of fields include the rational numbers, real numbers, and complex numbers.

Why is abstract algebra important?

Abstract algebra is important because it provides a framework for understanding and analyzing algebraic structures in a general and abstract way. It has many applications in various fields such as physics, computer science, and cryptography. It also helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills through the study of abstract concepts and their relationships.