1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract Algebra: Rings, Unit Elements, Fields

1. Nov 25, 2012 #1
    1) Show that (R,*,+) is a ring, where (x*y)=x+y+2 and (x+y)=2xy+4x+4y+6. Find the set of unit elements for the second operation.

I understand that the Ring Axioms is 1. (R,+) is an albein group. 2. Multiplication is associative and 3. Multiplication distributes. I just don't understand how to go about this. A First Course in Abstract Algebra by John Fraleigh fails to show any examples of this type.

2) Let f: Z[√d]→M be an application such that f)x+y√d=A where
    [x y]
    A = Matrix[yd x]

Show that f is an isomorphism of rings.

I understand that I have to check the conditions of it being isomorphic, but once again the book does not give examples of how to do so. It's hard to attempt problems when I don't know where to begin.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It will help avoid confusion if you adopt different symbols for different operations instead of using + for the ring operation and for normal addition.
    Let's start with showing * is associative, i.e. (a*b)*c = a*(b*c). Write that out using the definition of * you are given.

4. Nov 25, 2012 #3
    What I came up with was (x*y)=(y*x) → x+y+2 = y+x+2 to show it's albein.
    x+(y+z)=(x+y)+z → x+(2yz+4y+4z+6)=(2xy+4x+4y+6)+z and got 4xyz+8xy+8xz+8yz+16x+16y+16z+30 = 4xyz+8xy+8xz+8yz+16x+16y+16z+30

For x+(y*z)=(x+y)*(x+z) → x+(y+z+2)=(2xy+4x+4y+6)*(2xz+4x+4z+6) and got 2xy+2xz+8x+4y+4z+14 = 2xy+2xz+8x+4y+4z+14

5. Nov 25, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Looks fine (though I still wish you'd adopted a different symbol for one of the pluses).

6. Nov 25, 2012 #5
    The question has a plus with a circle around it, I don't know how to make that symbol.

But that's correct?

7. Nov 25, 2012 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, your solution looks fine.
    If you click 'go advanced' then the capital sigma symbol from the options that appear you get a LaTex reference panel. In there, open Binary Operators. But for the purpose of the thread, you could have just chosen some character like %, provided you explained it.

8. Nov 25, 2012 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here ...

9. Nov 26, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Abstract Algebra: Multiplicative Inverse/Unit Elements

You meant the first operation *, right? If you've shown it's an abelian group then you already know there are inverses under [itex]\oplus[/itex]. You should probably find the identity under * in your ring first. What is it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook