AC emf applied to capacitor and lamp in series

In summary, the author is trying to figure out how much capacitance is needed to run a lamp with an emf of 200 volts and 50 hertz. They found that the lamp requires a capacitance of 1/wC, or 800 ohm. They also mention that if the lamp had a resistance, the equation would be I = 200/(R+jX). Additionally, they mention that the voltage across the capacitor and the voltage across the resistor are out of phase by ninety degrees, so in order to add them together, phythagoras's theorem needs to be used.
mja78

Homework Statement

Hi, I found the following example in a high school physics book about electrical circuits. There's something about the example that I don't get, so I hope you can help me out. I give you the example text and the solution, and then I explain what I don't understand.

Example text:
"An alternating emf. of 200V and 50Hz is applied to a capacitor in series with 20V, 5W lamp. Find the capacitance required to run the lamp."

Solution:
Lamp:
V = 20V, P = I*V, i.e. I = P/V = 5W/20V = 0.25A

Circuit:
I = 200V/X (where X is the capacitive reactance)
X = 200V/I = 200V/0.25A = 800 ohm
X = 1/wC (where w is the angular frequency)
X = 1/wC = 800 ohm, i.e. C = 1/(w*800 ohm) = 1/(2*pi*50Hz*800 ohm) = 3.797 uF

What I don't understand:
Why is the reactance calculated as 200V/0.25A? I would expect the lamp to "take" 20V from the circuit, thus leaving 180V for the capacitor, i.e. X = 180V/0.25 = 720 ohm. Can someone please tell me why this is not the case?

Homework Equations

U = I*R (ohm's law)
P = I*V (power = current * voltage)
X = 1/wC (capacitive reactance)
w = 2*pi*f (angular frequency and frequency)

The Attempt at a Solution

I looked at an exercise and its solution in the book and it gave the same answer as the example from above. I looked for an answer on the internet but couldn't find a similar case. I read about lamps in electrical circuits, but what I found supported me in my expectation that the lamp should "take up" some voltage.

Physics news on Phys.org
They forgot to include the resistance of the lamp, altough the error made is much smaller than you think. The rms voltages across the capacitor and the lamp can add up to more than 200V, because the voltages are out of phase.

the correct equation with complex numbers is I = 200/(R+jX).

If you calculate the magnitudes you get [tex] I = \frac {200}{\sqrt{X^2 + R^2}} [/tex].

since X is about 10 times as large as R, this doesn't differ much from 200/X

The voltage across the capacitor and the voltage across the resistor are out of phase by ninety degrees so to add them use phythagoras theorem. The supply voltage is the hypotenuse of the triangle.
What type of capacitor ( mica,ceramic etc ) is recommended for such an application?

1. What is the purpose of applying AC emf to a capacitor and lamp in series?

The purpose of applying AC emf (electromotive force) to a capacitor and lamp in series is to create a circuit in which the lamp will light up due to the alternating current passing through the capacitor. This is known as a series resonant circuit, and it allows for efficient transfer of energy from the AC source to the lamp.

2. How does the capacitor affect the flow of current in this circuit?

The capacitor acts as a voltage regulator in this circuit. As the AC voltage increases, the capacitor charges up and limits the amount of current flowing through the circuit. This causes the lamp to light up at a specific voltage, resulting in a steady and controlled current flow.

3. Why is a lamp used in this circuit instead of a resistor?

A lamp is used instead of a resistor because it has a non-linear resistance, meaning that its resistance changes with the voltage across it. This is important for creating a series resonant circuit, as the lamp will only light up at a specific voltage, allowing for efficient energy transfer.

4. Can this circuit be used with DC emf instead of AC emf?

No, this circuit is specifically designed to work with AC emf. In a DC circuit, the capacitor would act as an open circuit, preventing any current from flowing through the lamp. Additionally, the lamp would not light up as it requires an alternating current to reach its specific voltage for illumination.

5. What factors affect the efficiency of this circuit?

The efficiency of this circuit is affected by the capacitance of the capacitor, the resistance of the lamp, and the frequency of the AC emf. A higher capacitance and lower resistance will result in a more efficient circuit, while a frequency close to the resonant frequency of the circuit will also increase efficiency.