But is it the same for AC circuits?

In summary, for a series LCR circuit, if the capacitance is short circuited, the voltage across the inductance will be 5√2V at resonance.
harambe

Homework Statement

For a series LCR circuit,the voltage across the resistance,capacitance and inductance is 10V each.If the capacitance is short circuited,the voltage across the inductance will be

(a)10V
(b)10/√2V
(c) 10/3v
(d)20V

Homework Equations

Potential difference across Inductance=I/XL
I=V/(R^2+(XL)^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so initially the capacitance,reactance as well as the inductance were equal
VR=VL=VC=10[/B]

Now VC=0 so It will act as a LR circuit whose voltage is given by

V=(VR)^2+(VL)^2

So how should I Calculate the new VR and VL?I think they will change from the first case because our circuit has changed but I am not too sure.If I apply the analogy of DC circuits then only current will change and reactance and inductance will remain same so I can calculate the Current.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
harambe said:
So how should I calculate the V,VR and VL here?
Good question. But it doesn't count as an attempt at solution, so we can't help.

The general idea at PF is: you apply the relevant equations (where are yours?) to the known variables in order to derive the unknowns.

By way of (not really deserved :rolleyes:) hint: what else do you know of the voltage over C, L and R ?

Likes harambe
(VR)^2+({VL)^2+(VC)^2}=(V)^2

From here the Voltage comes out to be 10V(Forgot to use this srsly)

How many equations with how many unknowns do you have now ?
My guess is you'll need something more... when is it that C and L have the same V ?

Likes harambe
harambe said:
V=(VR)^2+(VL)^2
Something not quite right there ...

Likes harambe
C and L have the same V at resonance

V={(VR)^+{(VL)^2-(VC)^2}} (Misplayed the negative sign)

*I found the Vrms to be 10V (Can this be maximum voltage instead of Vrms) *

Now I proceeded like this

R=XL

therefore since current will be same since they are in series

(I rms)= (V)^2/{(R)^2+(XL)^2)

(I rms)= 5√2/XL (R=XL)

So I calculated the VL=I rms x XL =5√2
I calculated after your hint but I am confused about the star statement

harambe said:
at resonance
Right. So the circuit is at resonance and you know XL = R. Bingo: post #7 is OK :smile:.

Whether V is rms or amplitude does not matter for the answer -- as long as problem statement and answer refer to the same.

(But it would have been nicer if the exercise had indicated one of the two)

Likes harambe
Yea. Thanks for the help

Likes BvU
You're welcome.

1. What is the difference between AC and DC circuits?

AC (alternating current) circuits have a constantly changing flow of current, while DC (direct current) circuits have a steady flow of current in one direction.

2. Can the same components be used in both AC and DC circuits?

Yes, some components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors can be used in both AC and DC circuits. However, other components like diodes and transformers are specifically designed for either AC or DC circuits.

3. How do I calculate voltage, current, and power in an AC circuit?

In AC circuits, voltage, current, and power are calculated using complex numbers and phasors. The formulas used are based on Ohm's Law and the properties of AC circuits. Alternatively, these values can also be determined using specialized AC circuit analysis tools.

4. Do AC circuits have a frequency limit?

Yes, AC circuits have a frequency limit, which is determined by the electrical properties of the components used in the circuit. Beyond this limit, the components may not function properly or may even be damaged.

5. How does the behavior of components differ in AC and DC circuits?

In AC circuits, the behavior of components like capacitors and inductors is more complex, as they have both resistance and reactance. This results in effects such as phase shift and impedance, which do not occur in DC circuits.