Find resistance of inductor in series RLC circuit

In summary, the circuit contains a resistor, inductor, and capacitor connected in series to an AC source of voltage 240V and frequency 50 Hz. The effective voltage across the resistor is 180V and across the inductor and capacitor is 120V. The resistance of the inductor is 140 Ohm. The impedance equation for the RLC circuit is Z=\sqrt{(R+R_{L})^{2}+(\omega L-\frac{1}{\omega C})^{2}} and the current through the circuit is 0.514A. By using these values, the impedance and resistance of the circuit can be calculated.
Pifagor

Homework Statement

We have a resistor of 350 Ohm, an inductor of 0.15H and a capacitor of 10 microfarad, connected in series to an AC source of voltage 240 V and frequency 50 Hz. The measured effective voltage over the resistor is 180V, and over the system of the both the inductor and the capacitor it's 120V. What is the resistance of the inductor?

The answer is supposed to be 140 Ohm.

Homework Equations

Z= sqrt{ R^{2}+ (X_L-X_C)^2 }

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt: the effective current through the resistor is 180V/350 Ohm = 0,514A. The same current flows through the rest of the circuit, whose impedance then should be 120V/0,514A = 233 Ohm. But the (absolute value of the) reactance wL-1/wC of this system is greater than this, and a resistance in the inductor would only increase the impedance. Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pifagor said:
But the (absolute value of the) reactance wL-1/wC of this system is greater than this, and a resistance in the inductor would only increase the impedance. Where am I going wrong?
You are calculating the impedance across LC without introducing RL (contrary to your argument, RL does not necessarily increase the impedance).

Thanks, but I still don't understand. In the above equation, used over the inductor and capacitor, I meant for the R to be the resistance in the inductor. How can an R not increase the impedance? Even if we do it by complex numbers, resistance is always real, right?

The correct impedance equation is [itex]Z=\sqrt{(R+R_{L})^{2}+(\omega L-\frac{1}{\omega C})^{2}} [/itex]. You have already calculated the current through R...

I tried that already, with voltage 240V and current 0,514A. That gives me a positive R_L = 30 Ohm, but that answer is still not right.

Why is it wrong to calculate the impedance with my equation, without the resistor, over only the LC-circuit (which of course contains the R_L, too, so it is really RLC), and use the given effective voltage over that?

1. The impedance across the RLC circuit is [itex]Z_{RLC}=\sqrt{ R_{L}^{2}+(\omega L-\frac{1}{\omega C})^{2}} [/itex]
  2. The current through the RLC circuit you have already calculated
  3. The voltage across the RLC circuit is 120V (as given)
Now you have enough to calculate the value of ZRLC and thus RL.

1. What is an inductor in a series RLC circuit?

An inductor is a passive electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. In a series RLC circuit, the inductor is connected in series with a resistor and a capacitor, creating a circuit with a single loop.

2. How does an inductor affect the resistance in a series RLC circuit?

An inductor has a property called inductance, which causes it to resist changes in current flow. This resistance, known as inductive reactance, increases as the frequency of the current passing through the inductor increases. As a result, the total resistance in a series RLC circuit is affected by the inductor's inductive reactance.

3. How do you calculate the resistance of an inductor in a series RLC circuit?

The resistance of an inductor in a series RLC circuit can be calculated using the formula R = XL, where R is the total resistance, X is the inductive reactance of the inductor, and L is the inductance of the inductor. Inductive reactance is calculated using the formula XL = 2πfL, where f is the frequency of the current and L is the inductance of the inductor.

4. What factors can affect the resistance of an inductor in a series RLC circuit?

The resistance of an inductor in a series RLC circuit can be affected by several factors, including the inductance of the inductor, the frequency of the current, and the number of turns in the coil of the inductor. The type of core material used in the inductor can also affect its resistance.

5. Why is it important to calculate the resistance of an inductor in a series RLC circuit?

Calculating the resistance of an inductor in a series RLC circuit is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of the circuit. It also allows us to determine the total impedance of the circuit, which is essential in designing and troubleshooting electronic circuits.