Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AC Mains frequency and microwave oven

1. Nov 25, 2015 #1
    Does the frequency of the main affect the performance of a microwave oven?
    Having moved from Europe 50 Hz to the Philippines 60 Hz I can not operate my microwave oven!
    Is that the reason? How to remediate?
    Best regards.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

That would depend on the oven. What does it say on the back of the oven? There will be a label there with input power requirements. Europe is 50Hz 230Vrms, right? What is the AC Mains voltage in the Philippines? :smile:

4. Nov 25, 2015 #3

berkeman

BTW, trying to run a 60Hz appliance on 50Hz can present an overheating hazard, so please don't try it again until this is figured out.

5. Nov 25, 2015 #4

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He is going the other direction.

6. Nov 25, 2015 #5
    Yep, and he says the oven doesn't work at all.
    (which I find a bit surprising - unless it caused the mains plug to blow it's fuse maybe)

7. Nov 25, 2015 #6

berkeman

Oops, good point. Well forget about the overheating issue then... o0)

8. Nov 27, 2015 #7

meBigGuy

Gold Member

I think microwave ovens are triac controlled and synchronized to the mains, but I don't know how and whether changing the mains frequency will affect operation.
    Could vary from oven to oven.
    I'm assuming Europe and Philippines are both 230V

Also, the turntable motor is a 50Hz induction motor so it may turn faster or stall.

What are the symptoms? Is it just DOA, or does it do something, but incorrectly?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook