AC Mains frequency and microwave oven

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential impact of a change in frequency from 50 Hz in Europe to 60 Hz in the Philippines on the operation of a microwave oven. The discussants consider the potential overheating hazard and question whether the change in frequency has caused the oven to malfunction. They also mention the potential impact on the turntable motor, which may turn faster or stall due to the change in frequency. Overall, the conversation suggests that the change in frequency may have affected the performance of the microwave oven and further investigation is needed to determine the cause and potential remediation.
stilbiker
Does the frequency of the main affect the performance of a microwave oven?
Having moved from Europe 50 Hz to the Philippines 60 Hz I can not operate my microwave oven!
Is that the reason? How to remediate?
Best regards.

Engineering news on Phys.org
stilbiker said:
Does the frequency of the main affect the performance of a microwave oven?
Having moved from Europe 50 Hz to the Philippines 60 Hz I can not operate my microwave oven!
Is that the reason? How to remediate?
Best regards.
Welcome to the PF.

That would depend on the oven. What does it say on the back of the oven? There will be a label there with input power requirements. Europe is 50Hz 230Vrms, right? What is the AC Mains voltage in the Philippines? :smile:

BTW, trying to run a 60Hz appliance on 50Hz can present an overheating hazard, so please don't try it again until this is figured out.

berkeman said:
BTW, trying to run a 60Hz appliance on 50Hz can present an overheating hazard, so please don't try it again until this is figured out.
He is going the other direction.

Averagesupernova said:
Yep, and he says the oven doesn't work at all.
(which I find a bit surprising - unless it caused the mains plug to blow it's fuse maybe)

Averagesupernova said:
Oops, good point. Well forget about the overheating issue then... o0)

I think microwave ovens are triac controlled and synchronized to the mains, but I don't know how and whether changing the mains frequency will affect operation.
Could vary from oven to oven.
I'm assuming Europe and Philippines are both 230V

Also, the turntable motor is a 50Hz induction motor so it may turn faster or stall.

What are the symptoms? Is it just DOA, or does it do something, but incorrectly?

1) What is the frequency of AC mains electricity?

The frequency of AC mains electricity varies depending on the country, but it is typically either 50 Hz or 60 Hz. In the United States, the frequency is 60 Hz while in most of Europe and Asia it is 50 Hz.

2) Why is it important for a microwave oven to operate at a specific frequency?

Microwave ovens use electromagnetic waves at a specific frequency, typically 2.45 GHz, to heat food. This frequency is specifically chosen because it causes water molecules in food to vibrate and produce heat, making it an efficient method of cooking.

3) Can the frequency of AC mains electricity affect the performance of a microwave oven?

Yes, the frequency of AC mains electricity can affect the performance of a microwave oven. If the frequency is not within the designated range, the oven may not be able to produce the necessary electromagnetic waves to heat the food properly.

4) What happens if a microwave oven is used in a country with a different AC mains frequency?

If a microwave oven is used in a country with a different AC mains frequency, it may not function properly. The oven may not heat food evenly or may not heat food at all. It is important to check the voltage and frequency requirements of a microwave oven before using it in a different country.

5) Is it possible to change the frequency of AC mains electricity in a household?

No, it is not possible to change the frequency of AC mains electricity in a household. The frequency is determined by the power grid and cannot be altered by individual households. However, some electronic devices, such as microwaves, have built-in mechanisms to adjust to different frequencies when used in different countries.