Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AC Motor Suggestions for a new product

  1. Feb 6, 2012 #1
    Hello community. I am currently working on a product that requires relatively high torque and rpm, around 3 N/m torque and between 150-300 rpm to be specific. My knowledge about motor is very limited and i am running out of time. I understand that i won't find the exact spec and probably will have to adapt a motor.
    How do i go out about doing that is the question..
    So any help will be much appreciated. :)
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2012 #2
  4. Feb 6, 2012 #3
    the motor will be used in a kitchen appliance similar to citrus juicer mechanism. so dc is no good. iv been told i can use a blender motor to the spec i need but i don't really know how...
  5. Feb 6, 2012 #4
    You don't know how as in...you don't know how to control the speed of the motor? Or?
  6. Feb 6, 2012 #5
    for example if i bought a cheap blender and wanted to use its motor for testing. the motor with have its own spec, how i do control the speed and torque so i can get the rpm and torque that i need out of it..
  7. Feb 6, 2012 #6


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    Your application is neither high torque, nor high rpm so it should be relatively easy to find one to fit the bill. Motors typically run in the multiple thousands of rpm, so what you're going to need is an AC gear motor (AC motor with a reduction gearbox attached). Best place to look in my opinion is GlobalSpec:


    You can sort by type of motor, speed, torque, power, configuration, etc. etc. etc.
  8. Feb 8, 2012 #7
    Thank you, globalspec was very useful in finding custom motors, unfortunately they are a bit pricey. I have decided to use a DC geared motor due to the fact i can't find AC motors that match my spec AND dimensions.
    Don't know if there are any issues with using a DC motor for a kitchen appliance as i have never come across one.
  9. Feb 11, 2012 #8
    Know that if it is a kitchen appliance, your electricity supply at the wall will be 120V AC, you will need a transformer to step it down to usable DC voltage.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook