Deriving Function for Acceleration of Block on a Spring as a Function of Time?

In summary, when trying to solve for acceleration of a block as a function of time, you first need to find the equation for the displacement, s, as a function of time. Once you have this equation, you can solve for the acceleration, a, as a function of time.
einaap
Hi fellow physicists,
Suppose a spring with a stiffness k, is attached to wall and with the other side a block with a mass, m, a force F, then pulls the block away from the wall. How do you derive a function for acceleration of the block as a function of time, a(t)?
When trying to solve this I derived the equation: (F-K*s)/m=a but I don't know how to derive a function of s (displacement) as a function of t (to substitute for s in previous equation). The problem seems to be that s(t) is in its turn again a function acceleration which is a function of how far the spring is stretched which is a function of displacement, s :)
Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are right, acceleration is a function of displacement but you should know what this function is from kinematics.

einaap said:
Hi fellow physicists,
Suppose a spring with a stiffness k, is attached to wall and with the other side a block with a mass, m, a force F, then pulls the block away from the wall. How do you derive a function for acceleration of the block as a function of time, a(t)?
When trying to solve this I derived the equation: (F-K*s)/m=a but I don't know how to derive a function of s (displacement) as a function of t (to substitute for s in previous equation). The problem seems to be that s(t) is in its turn again a function acceleration which is a function of how far the spring is stretched which is a function of displacement, s :)
There should be no F in the equation that you wrote. The only unbalanced force is -ks and this should be equal to ma, So your equation should read -ks/m = a. As you can see, and as paisiello2 pointed out, this shows that the acceleration depends on s. This is a second order differential equation whose solution gives you s as a function of t.

No, I think F is an externally applied force so there is an F in the equation.

paisiello2 said:
No, I think F is an externally applied force so there is an F in the equation.
Agreed. But if there is an extra applied force in addition to -kx, then it may no longer be simple harmonic motion. The solution of s as a function of t will depend on what F is. for example, if the spring and object are hanging vertically from the ceiling, F would be gravity, and you would still have simple harmonic motion. If F is friction, it would damped harmonic motion, and if F is itself an oscillatory motion, then you would have a driven harmonic oscillator.

einaap said:
Hi fellow physicists,

Replace acceleration 'a' with ## \frac{d ^2s}{dt^2}## in your equation and solve this differential equation. Then you will find s as a function of t. Then differentiate it twice. You will get the answer. But at first you have to know about the nature of external force F.

1. What is the concept of "accelerated mass on a spring"?

The concept of "accelerated mass on a spring" refers to the motion of a mass attached to a spring that is undergoing acceleration. This system is commonly used in physics experiments to study the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration.

2. How does the acceleration of the mass on a spring change with different amplitudes?

The acceleration of the mass on a spring is directly proportional to the amplitude of the oscillations. This means that as the amplitude increases, the acceleration of the mass also increases.

3. What factors affect the period of oscillation for an accelerated mass on a spring?

The period of oscillation for an accelerated mass on a spring is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the oscillations. Increasing the mass or spring constant will result in a longer period, while increasing the amplitude will decrease the period.

4. Can the acceleration of the mass on a spring be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of the mass on a spring can be negative. This occurs when the mass is moving in the opposite direction of the applied force, resulting in a negative acceleration value.

5. How can the equation F = -kx be used to calculate the acceleration of a mass on a spring?

The equation F = -kx can be used to calculate the acceleration of a mass on a spring by rearranging it to a = -kx/m. This equation shows that the acceleration is directly proportional to the force exerted by the spring (kx) and inversely proportional to the mass of the object (m).