Accelerating shopping cart from rest

In summary, the conversation is about finding the mass of a bag of dog food added to a shopping cart. The formula F=ma is mentioned and the conversation continues to discuss how to use it with the given data. A kinematic equation is suggested to determine the acceleration, and the final answer is found to be 8.91 kg.
youxcrushxme
I'm pretty sure this is an easy problem but I don't know what formula to use -

At the local grocery store, you push a 16.2 kg shopping cart. You stop for a moment to add a bag of dog food to your cart. With a force of 12.0 N, you now accelerate the cart from rest through a distance of 2.02 m in 3.00 s. What was the mass of the dog food?

If anyone could just point me in the right direction I would appreciate it...in this class he only throws a bunch of formulas at us and doesn't really explain how to use them so I'm confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
F=ma will be the formula you will use in the end. How can you get acceleration from the data you have?

So you do F=ma which means a=F/m...so it's 12/16.2 which is .74...right?

well that is correct when the cart is pushed with 12 N of force BEFORE the dog food is added. You want to know the mass of the object you are pushing (the cart+dog food) so you would use m=F/a. But you don't have an a value. but you can use a kinematic equation to determine a from the distance and time values you have. [tex] s(t)=\frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex] should work where s is your distance traveled and t is the time.

I'm getting 1.346 for a but if you do m=F/a you get a mass of 8.91 which can't be right because it should be greater than the original 16.2

are you remembering to square the t?

Yes...s=2.02 and t=3, so I did st=1/2a(t^2) which gave me a=1.346, and since m=F/a I did 12/1.346 but the answer isn't coming out right...I don't know what I'm doing wrong

oh, sorry, that was s of t... like f(x)... not s*t. The left side is just s. so its s=1/2a(t^2)

ahh, ok...I got it :) thanks!

1. How does accelerating the shopping cart from rest affect its speed?

When a shopping cart is accelerated from rest, it will gradually increase in speed. The amount of acceleration will determine how quickly the cart reaches its final speed.

2. What factors affect the acceleration of a shopping cart from rest?

The main factors that affect the acceleration of a shopping cart from rest are the force applied to the cart, the mass of the cart, and the presence of any friction or resistance.

3. Is it important to accelerate a shopping cart from rest gradually or quickly?

It is important to accelerate a shopping cart from rest gradually in order to prevent any sudden jerks or movements that could cause items to fall out of the cart. This also helps to ensure the safety of the person pushing the cart.

4. Can the acceleration of a shopping cart from rest be measured?

Yes, the acceleration of a shopping cart from rest can be measured using a variety of methods such as a stopwatch, motion sensors, or calculating the change in speed over a certain time interval.

5. How does the angle of the ramp affect the acceleration of a shopping cart from rest?

The angle of the ramp can affect the acceleration of a shopping cart from rest by increasing or decreasing the force of gravity acting on the cart. A steeper ramp will result in a greater force of gravity and therefore a faster acceleration, while a shallower ramp will result in a slower acceleration.