1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Accelerating shopping cart from rest

1. Sep 27, 2006 #1
    I'm pretty sure this is an easy problem but I don't know what formula to use -

At the local grocery store, you push a 16.2 kg shopping cart. You stop for a moment to add a bag of dog food to your cart. With a force of 12.0 N, you now accelerate the cart from rest through a distance of 2.02 m in 3.00 s. What was the mass of the dog food?

If anyone could just point me in the right direction I would appreciate it...in this class he only throws a bunch of formulas at us and doesn't really explain how to use them so I'm confused.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2006 #2
    F=ma will be the formula you will use in the end. How can you get acceleration from the data you have?

4. Sep 27, 2006 #3
    So you do F=ma which means a=F/m...so it's 12/16.2 which is .74...right?

5. Sep 27, 2006 #4
    well that is correct when the cart is pushed with 12 N of force BEFORE the dog food is added. You want to know the mass of the object you are pushing (the cart+dog food) so you would use m=F/a. But you don't have an a value. but you can use a kinematic equation to determine a from the distance and time values you have. [tex] s(t)=\frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex] should work where s is your distance traveled and t is the time.

6. Sep 27, 2006 #5
    I'm getting 1.346 for a but if you do m=F/a you get a mass of 8.91 which can't be right because it should be greater than the original 16.2

7. Sep 27, 2006 #6
    are you remembering to square the t?

8. Sep 27, 2006 #7
    Yes...s=2.02 and t=3, so I did st=1/2a(t^2) which gave me a=1.346, and since m=F/a I did 12/1.346 but the answer isn't coming out right...I don't know what I'm doing wrong

9. Sep 27, 2006 #8
    oh, sorry, that was s of t... like f(x)... not s*t. The left side is just s. so its s=1/2a(t^2)

10. Sep 27, 2006 #9
    ahh, ok...I got it :) thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?